Chinese-Forums

Finally here!

studychinese

Hi another one here who is new in Beijing having quit her job to learn Chinese :D Feels good doesn't it! Love Beijing so far. Been apartment hunting today which is a challenge, but haven't found anything so far. Search goes on tomorrow.

Cat Jones, I assume you do not speak much Chinese so how does that hunting go? Is it hard to tell them what you are searching for or do they speak at least a little of English? I am curious since I am going to arrive to Beijing next Monday and supposed to start hunting apartment also. I do not speak any Chinese so I think it could be a bit difficult. Or maybe it is easy to find that apartment but harder to try to communicate through all the bureaucratic stuff.

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in replying - life in Beijing is more manic than I though! But awesome :)

Roddy I will find some time to add some comments to that thread. I may be of use!

aspi - I don't speak any Chinese either. We actually managed to work with an agency on the first day just using the Baidu (Chinese Google?) version of Google translate. We sat there and typed our requirements in English and it translated it into Chinese for the agents to read. It seemed to work! If you have an Android/iPhone you can get Google translate on there too which helps when you don't have access to a computer.

On the second day we used Beijing Buddy http://www.beijingbuddy.com/ who send a translator to help you. We found that they favoured one agency though so choice was a little limited, but if you ask they might be happy to visit other agencies with you. Beijing Buddy can help with other things too like mobile phones, bank accounts etc. but we found we managed just fine without.

In the end we found out apartment through a private landlord who speaks really good English and she helped us with setting up internet etc.

Good luck with the hunt. Get in touch if you need any further help.

Cat

ugh! We arrived to Beijing today and oh my that language barrier. It is quite hard to communicate here but I guess it only helps you with your own Chinese. Our hotel room is pretty awful so I hope our apartment viewings goes better. I contacted Beijingbuddy for help and got one person from there to help us with our arrangements. We are going to see few apartments today to see what is available. I hope that perfect one comes soon.

ugh! We arrived to Beijing today and oh my that language barrier. It is quite hard to communicate here but I guess it only helps you with your own Chinese. Our hotel room is pretty awful so I hope our apartment viewings goes better. I contacted Beijingbuddy for help and got one person from there to help us with our arrangements. We are going to see few apartments today to see what is available. I hope that perfect one comes soon.

Sorry to hear your hotel isn't good. Where are you staying?

Good luck with the apartment viewings. Try to sign up with some other agencies too so you get to see as many as possible.

• 2 months later...