Chinese-Forums

Apartment hunting during holiday

nazreal

Hi there,

General question to anyone really: I'll be arriving in Beijing around the time of the 29th Sept - 6th Oct National holiday and once I arrive, I'm hoping to be able to find somewhere to live. Will estate agents/ people who advertise on Beijinger generally be open or around?

Or would you suggest I arrive in Beijing BEFORE the holiday just in case? I remember being in Beijing around then but I can't remember if people shut up shop and go home or if they generally stay around in the city.

Thanks for your help!

Oh really?! I've had a horrible experience with agents when I was living around the dreaded Wudaokou (well I only call it dreaded because I think I found out they'd been nicking my money and asked me to cough up when the landlord came knocking round...)

I've just been going on Beijinger for people who need roommates or are subletting so I'm hoping it'll be better really...I sort of only want to find a place through an agent if everything goes to pat....

Back in November I think I dealt with about a dozen agents on and off for three weeks before ditching my plan and finding a place directly through the complex. When I moved into my current place I literally walked into the property management of several apartment building complexes and told them I was looking for a place to rent. You can also check out baixing.com and try to avoid 中介 listings. You need to be able to speak Chinese to do either of these things though... if you can't deal with that you don't have much choice. :(

Also, if you're looking for roommates, worth looking on couchsurfing.org in the Beijing group for other people.

Hiya,

Oh right - I didn't realise you could literally just walk in and talk to the property people - ok will try that - hopefully I haven't forgotten all my Chinese haha! Will also look at your other suggestions - thanks! I really want to avoid the 中介 if at all possible - they make me shudder!

It all depends on how much time you have to do the research.

A good agent will listen to your needs and requirements and prepare for you a list of in budget properties to view. Yes of course he/she gets a commission (equivalent to one month's rent from the LL for medium + budgets and 50% 50% from low budgets) but nobody works for free. If you have the time then yes you can just walk into the Leasing Office of the various compounds but you will have to know which ones you want to walk into.

I too assume the Agents will work during the holidays (barring 1 October) but as said many LL might not be on town.