Chinese-Forums

Gmail and Simplified Chinese

carlo

What is weird is that I *am* running Chinese W, and almost all applications, including IE, are in Chinese. Yet Gmail displays 乱码 no matter what encoding I select. The Help window crashes everytime I open it. Sigh. I'll keep trying.

If you want a basis for comparison to see if it can work try the Firefox browser (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/). You can get a Chinese version by following the Other Systems and Languages link. Gmail was originally optimized for Firefox so it may work better. It works for me everywhere but I'm using English Linux, XP, and W2K so the environment is a little different than yours.

Also, if you have another email account you can use for comparison, send some Chinese email to it and your Gmail account in the same message and see if it works both places, just to rule out character encoding issues.

You shouldn't need to download the mail in raw text format. I didn't have to do anything different at all to read email with Chinese in it on gmail.

• 2 weeks later...