Chinese-Forums

Lenovo Questions

Cyberian

I think they're going to make IBM THinkpad... I hope they can keep up with the qualities. I have never used any computer from them, but from what I've heard from my friends, well... they are not very good at computers though, Liang Xiang is quite good. But sorry, I don't have any other info about that.

1. Are their computers inexpensive comparing to HP or IBM?

2. Are they going international?

3. Do they make laptops?

4. How does the taxing work at the borders (customs?)?

1. Yes. http://www.lenovo.com

2. I don't know. I have no clue why they bought IBM's stagnant business for that much money though. Their stock price apparently went down when the news was released.

3. Yes. http://www.lenovo.com

4. There are still import tariffs on foreign laptops entering China. This is allegedly to encourage foreign MNCs to produce their products IN China and export rather than just selling to the market and exporting the money. I don't imagine there would be any quotas on products leaving. There would be a host of subsidies (usually indirect -- low cost housing/rent) for high tech firms manufacturing for export. These wouldn't effect the cost-effectiveness of producting in China on any large scale. Wages would still be the biggest reason to produce domestically, with quality concerns in sourcing being a critical reason not to.

Lets say I went to China for a visit, I saw a fancy Lenovo laptop, and got it. [Tax 1]As I leave China, the custom checks, do I get taxed? [Tax 2]Then I arrive back to Canada where I am living now, and the customs check, do I get taxed?

Then in the future I decided to go back to China for another visit, and I bring my laptop along. [Tax 3]So I enter China with the laptop, do I get taxed? Then I come back to Canada after my 2nd visit to China. [Tax 4]Do I get taxed again?

1. most of the time YES but not the cheapeast

2. They were already operation international. But mainly under other brands like "LEGEND". And now they bought IBM Computer section. (No chinese people arent taking over the world)

3. Yes, but I dont like them. Its unbalanced but again so are others.

4. Well if you are clever enough you dont have to pay them at the borders (sending mail always).

4. Well if you are clever enough you dont have to pay them at the borders (sending mail always).

I would not trust mail to take care of my laptop since it is worth circa $1,000.

Also, the sensetive information. If they lost it, or got damaged, they will only repay me for the hardware. The stuff I put in there is priceless and will never be recovered!

From all the eBay feedbacks I been reading from random users, things almost never arrive on time and has hidden fees. Having my laptop arrive 2 months late is brutal. This baby needs to be on my arms 24/7 when I travel.

You'll have no problems with customs. The tax would apply to goods brought into China for sale, not personal items. I've brought my laptop in and out of China multiple times without problem.

If you're planning to be out of China after buying the laptop I wouldn't buy Lenovo though. Getting it serviced in China is probably not a problem. The same likely doesn't hold for Michigan.

You'll have no problems with customs. The tax would apply to goods brought into China for sale, not personal items. I've brought my laptop in and out of China multiple times without problem.

Thanks for the info.

I live just north of the American border, whenever people go down south to Buffalo or New York City to shop, they would rip off all the bags, throw out all the shopping bags, and wear what they bought to avoid the hassle and taxing at the customs.

If you're planning to be out of China after buying the laptop I wouldn't buy Lenovo though. Getting it serviced in China is probably not a problem. The same likely doesn't hold for Michigan.

If something is going to be wrong with the laptop, I don't mind sending it overseas to fix since the sensetive files will be backed up before I send.

If the problem with the laptop is software, I will have no problem fixing it. Hardware is another problem.

That is not strictly true. The tax applies on import irrespective of the reason. Presumably you carried it in. How often do they examine westerners' baggage? Checking my passport, I find that have been entered China seventeen times in the last six years and never had my bags looked at.

However, try posting a laptop or digicam or any other piece of equipment into China for your 'personal use.' Different story!

Try asking your Chinese wife to carry the laptop across the border. Different story!

Aside from the tax, do they do anything with the laptop at the customs?

Growing up in the Western world, I have heard of a lot of these 'Boggie Man' stories about China's lack of privacy, etc.

If I was at the customs, will they check what I have in my computer?

As in, the customs asking for my laptop, and I will have no choice but to turn it over or else turn back. So I have to turn it over. The customs will then take my laptop to some room for staff-only, and plug into their system and copy the whole thing into their system for 'security' reasons.

Does this kind of stuff really happen?

I strictly do not like the idea of my laptop being search and copied.

Besides the laptop, do they do the same thing to customized CDs/DVDs? I don't mean pirated CDsDVDs, but ones with my personal stuff backed up.

Ehm.... wtf?

I can almost assure you this... Those people at the customs aint computergenius. If you do some easy tricks you can "hide" your private stuff.

And besides what is so private on your computer? I have 0.0 things in my computer which is very private. If they want to see my holidays pictures fine! If they want to read my project stuff from school fine (who cares)... But I never put my bank account in my computer etc. So what is so private?

Think like this.. What are the chances they will check you? What are the chances they will check your notebook... your custom made CD/DVD?

If you just say, your holidays pictures they wont check it if you telling the truth. You are almost start sounding like an over-reacted emotional usa-peep. use your bloody mind for once, and calculate!

From what I read, China has the leading cyberattack force in the world designed to counter America's hi-tech. So naturally, to me, they can are computer geniuses.

Private files. Such as personal logs. Saved mementos meant for personal eyes and the eyes of the second person.

Chances are slim. But I am not afraid of that 999/1000 but the 1/1000.

Maybe custom-made, but it is not hard to break in by an expert even if the file was passworded and forbidden (permissions set). I am no expert, and I can break into it.

Yes, to some extent, I am an 'overreacted emotional American'. Growing up in the West, I have been given some CNN-FOX shampoo to wash myself.

There has has been raids on homes of random people AKA 'suspects'. Random/suspects been pulled over in airports and (strip-) serached. Not only are random people and suspects pulled over, reporters are too. Supposely, Canada and the USA are democracies. :conf

Although I don't fit into the suspect and reporter catagories, I don't like the random.

I don't mind sending it overseas to fix since the sensetive files will be backed up before I send.

Sure, just be careful the contract specifies that you're not the one paying for shipping.... Just pragmatically, I wouldn't buy a Chinese laptop unless you're planning on being there for at least a year. It isn't worth the hassle if it breaks.