Chinese-Forums

Ian_Lee

What is a very common Chinese word that always appears in the lyrics of pop song but its English counterpart is much less used?

I think it must be 缘.

In fact, there is no exact equivalence of 缘 in English.

In English, 缘 is defined as karma, fate or destiny. But in Chinese, 缘 means more than each one of them and/or all three combined.

For example, in Chinese we can philosophically say that we have the 缘 to meet each other in this forum. And when we don't have the 缘 anymore, we would fade from this forum.

But in English, it seems that they don't have the concept of 缘 as Chinese does.

不是这个意思吧?

You're right, xiaocai. It was just one of my light-hearted, frivolous replies.

缘起缘灭 : would this be better now? :D

Yes, 缘 is a word borrowed from Buddhism, meaning "cause" (as in cause and result). From this origin, the word has come to mean "relationship" (between cause and result) and then (predestined loving) relationship itself. The last sense explains why 缘 often appears in love poems and song lyrics.

I like the idea that love is predestined (with a "Made in Heaven" stamp on it :mrgreen: ).

Don't you?

• 2 weeks later...

HashiriKata:

Actually in the lyrics of Japanese pop songs, there is also a Kanji that is regularly used but hardly used in Chinese song.

That character is

is not used in the lyrics of Chinese song, but also seldom used in daily conversation.

緣(yuan) also means "relationship between people" or "connection between people". You can have strong connection with some people (strong yuan), for example with parents, friends, lover,... or weak connection (weak yuan), for example with people who pass you by on sidewalk, people who do shopping in supermarket,... people with whom you don't have personal connection and/or don't know them.

BTW, in Slovenia, we have Sinology Association called Yuan. You are welcome to visit our homepage: www.kizej.net/yuan (skip animation by clicking "Preskoci animacijo")

But page was just renovated and there still isn't English version available. If you have questons about our Association, then you can ask me, because I'm its vice-president. :oops:

百年修得同船度

千年修得共枕眠

riding the same boat is because we've cultivated ourseves in right practice for hundred years in formar lives.

sleeping in the same bed because we've cultivated for thousand years.

(actually Buddhism is rather romantic :D )

it's 缘

无缘对面手难牵

without Yuan i wont know you even if you are in front of me.

it's 缘 too.

it reminds me of some movie's scenes.

About 債, Anita Mui sang -

原來今生心償還不是一世,千代千生難估計 ...

Also about 債, 紅樓夢 says -

此事說來好笑,竟是千古未聞的罕事。只因西方靈河岸上三生石畔,有絳珠草一株,時有赤瑕宮神瑛侍者,日以甘露灌溉,這絳珠草始得久延歲月。後來既受天地精華,復得雨露滋養,遂得脫卻草胎木質,得換人形,僅修成個女體,終日遊於離恨天外,饑則食蜜青果為膳,渴則飲灌愁水為湯。只因尚未酬報灌溉之德,故其五內便鬱結著一段纏綿不盡之意。恰近日這神瑛侍者凡心偶熾,乘此昌明太平朝世,意欲下凡造歷幻緣,已在警幻仙子案前掛了號。警幻亦曾問及,灌溉之情未償,趁此倒可了結的。那絳珠仙子道:『他是甘露之惠,我並無此水可還。他既下世為人,我也去下世為人,但把我一生所有的眼淚還他,也償還得過他了。』因此一事,就勾出多少風流冤家來,陪他們去了結此案。

another story about 缘or债

前世是谁埋的你?

从前有个书生,和未婚妻约好在某年某月某日结婚。到那一天,未婚妻却嫁给了别人。书生受此打击, 一病不起。这时,路过一游方僧人,从怀里摸出一面镜子叫书生看。书生看到茫茫大海,一名遇害的女子一丝不挂地躺在海滩上。路过一人, 看一眼,摇摇头, 走了。又路过一人, 将衣服脱下,给女尸盖上, 走了。再路过一人,过去, 挖个坑,小心翼翼把尸体掩埋了。

僧人解释道,那具海滩上的女尸,就是你未婚妻的前世。你是第二个路过的人,曾给过他一件衣服.她今生和你相恋, 只为还你一个情。但是她最终要报答一生一世的人,是最后那个把她掩埋的人,那人就是他现在的丈夫.。书生大悟。前世,究竟是谁埋的你?

人们从奈何桥上匆匆走过。孟婆说:“行路的人,喝碗孟婆汤解解渴。”口渴的人心急的喝了。于是,那个前世埋他们的人,在他们头脑中渐渐模糊了。他们开始惊惶的四处张望,妄图在茫茫人海中寻找今生的爱人。“众里寻它千百度,蓦然回首,那人却在灯火阑珊处。”其实,你携起他的手时,就是前世残存的记忆在提醒你了,前世埋你的人,就是你身边与你相濡以沫的爱人啊。与前世埋过你的爱人,携手在银色的沙滩,那该是今生最完美的一种幸福了吧。

One of my old time favorite Cantopops:

相識也是缘份

相識也是缘份 你莫再三強求

無謂情自困 重逢又離別

你不必悔恨 好夢豈能當真

誰又會願意 永守誓盟共你終生相好

見一次面能共結合永相親

風花雪月原是過日晨

分手也是缘份 你莫再三強求

祈望佢憐憫 誰人重情義

你不必痛恨 天下假情幻似真

誰又會料到 每一段情代價應該幾高

每一個夢留下怨恨有幾分

生於世上原是寄塵

但是她最终要报答一生一世的人,是最后那个把她掩埋的人

Does this mean that you have to first decide which body to bury?

And what if there are a few bodies on the beach? What happens if you only want to do a good deed and bury them all?

Life is not at all easy !!! :shock:

:mrgreen: