Chinese-Forums

贵州贵阳 Guizhou Guiang at 6 in the morning

abcdefg

Heading to Guizhou Saturday for a week or two (from Kunming.) More convenient trains to Guiyang were sold out or only had 硬座 available. It's ten or eleven hours, so I wound up with a 卧铺 ticket that gets me there at 6 a.m. in the morning. Not an ideal arrival time in a new city.

Any ideas on what to do in Guiyang so early in the day? I could of course check my bag at the train station, and then go do what? Eat breakfast and read my book in the park?

I envision side trips east to Anshun (waterfalls and caves) and west to Kaili (Miao and Dong villages); maybe one north to Zunyi (Mao history) as well. Have not organized these side trips; was hoping to kick around in the capitol a day or two first.

Meh, the waterfall is quite disappointing, the caves are all right but expect it to take longer to get there, and to see the caves than you plan. Guiyamg itself is similar to every city in China, except personally I felt it was a bit dingier, and with an even wider income divide if that is possible. Guiyang is expensive travel, especially the entrance tickets and transportation, it's almost rude on what you need to pay for what you get.

Meh, the waterfall is quite disappointing, the caves are all right but expect it to take longer to get there, and to see the caves than you plan.

I'd heard that this year Guizhou was hard hit by drought 干旱 and that it has affected the waterfall. When did you go, @ JonBl?

If it takes longer to get to the caves this year, I might just set out by bus when I first arrive. At least I could use those early hours for travel instead of just sitting around Guiyang.

I'd probably just get a hotel and take a nap for a few hours, but that's just me\

I opted for a sleeper 卧铺 ticket on the train, so with any luck at all I should arrive fairly rested.

If you're staying in the city anyway, I'd get to your hotel and drop your bag off - and if you can get into a room at that point have a shower and a bit of a rest, then out about 8am for breakfast and a day's sightseeing.

Failing that - head for a park and chat with the locals.

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone, I know that this topic is a little old now but Guiyang has so much to see and do. If i could only see one thing in Guiyang then i would do Qianling mountain park. This park is only 5rmb to enter and is huge and beutiful. It has a temple, mountains, monkeys, a lake and even a zoo!  Guiyang is well worth a visit.

I agree with the previous poster's suggestion, Qianling Mountain Park. There are loads of wild monkeys there. Take some fresh fruit to feed them. Please don't give them crisps and biscuits and that kind of thing.

I went to Guiyang earlier this year but unfortunately didn't have enough time to go to the park.