Chinese-Forums

我们约会吧 and 称心如意 Fan Club

greenarcher

Any fans of these shows? I tried watching 非诚勿扰 but there were simply too many girls plus my professor said he thinks the show is scripted.

I love these shows not just because of the humor (owing to the host and wacky guests) but because I learn a lot about how mainland Chinese culture and how they think.

Plus I get to see a lot of pretty ladies. ;)

I don't think you should let your TV watching habits be dictated by your professor. Personally the lack of authenticity on 非诚勿扰 does not bother me at all.

I've seen 我们约会吧 before and it's clearly in the same mold as 非诚勿扰 but with fewer girls. Unfortunately I dislike the host (he also hosts 舞动奇迹 if I'm not mistaken) so it's a nonstarter for me. I've never seen 称心如意 before, does it have a different format than the other dating shows?

Hunan TV's dating shows has its fair share of gold diggers, lesbians and weird girls that makes the shows fun to watch. I know the producers purposely place these people for the ratings but it doesn't mean the show is scripted.

The host of 我们约会吧 can be annoying at times but I have to say he's a pretty good host; always ready for any sort of circumstance.

称心如意 has 12 girls who brings their moms with them. The guy also brings 1 relative. If all the girls turn off the lights, the relative can act as the saving grace since he/she can choose 1 for some sort of re-consideration. But it's still the girl's decision on whether to completely dump the guy or give him another chance.

称心如意 is more serious as the participants hope to get married soon (as opposed to just dating). It's mostly mature but successful guys who are still single. There have been a couple of divorcees too.

The big production set and the number of participants for 非诚勿扰 takes away the equal opportunity of airtime. You lose the connection with the participants like this; and for me it takes away the authenticity. Even in 我们约会吧 some participants don't get any airtime at all.

Anyway, no matter what dating show it is, it's all entertaining and educating as well.

• 2 months later...

I've started watching 我们约会吧. These shows really weird me out. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept that there's 18 women or men who are supposedly looking for romance and yet they'll turn their light off for the most minor reasons. There are 18 men/women and 1 contestant, shouldn't that one contestant be the picky one? But somehow this isn't the case. I get especially irritated when a very good-looking woman comes on the show with 18 men and none of them men pick her, for reasons like "She likes cats" or "She's a year older than me, I want someone younger". To put it as mildly as possible, where I come from we would question a man's sexuality for turning down an attractive woman for such minor reasons.

Having said that I generally like the show, though I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of the four girls who sit on the couch.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not only you that's weirded out and probably annoyed. You can see it in the host's reactions and facial expressions that he too is pissed off at how shallow the reasons are. The show used to have really hot girls and really weird ones but lately I noticed that most of the girls are average to high average, not too pretty but not ugly either.

A lot of the guys turn of their lights when the friends describe the girl in the "VCR" without even bothering to clarify the issue with girl which I think is stupid.

On the girl's part, singling out someone from the 18 guys is also stupid. Obviously all the other guys will turn their light off.

The excuse that "there's not enough time" to get to know you is lame. All contestants know there's obviously not enough time to get to know the person. The host even stressed it out 1 time that it's just a channel for a first date, it's not like you're gonna marry the guy/girl.

Haha the 4 girls is just for unsolicited advice. The sexy one is for display while the fat one is for humor purposes.

Nevertheless it is because of these reasons that I still watch the show but I now prefer 称心如意 more.

• 1 month later...