Chinese-Forums

Upcoming Downtime / Upgrade

roddy

I'm planning to upgrade the forums software over the weekend. Not sure exactly when, but will aim to do it fairly early in the weekend (I'm on UK time, currently) so that, hopefully, by the start of next week everything will be working as it should.

There'll be some noticeable cosmetic changes, a new portal (although so far I've managed to make it look pretty much like the old one, although there is going to be a block highlighting posts which have been given positive ratings), probably a sidebar on discussion pages although I'm not entirely sure on what'll be in it yet, a rich WYSIWYG text editor which seems to actually work, some long-awaited changes on the admin side which are far too secret for me to tell you about, a new notifications / follow system which I'm currently not that well-informed about, a better (I hope) mobile experience, a new attachments / shared media system, a tagging and prefix system which I'm not sure we'll use, merging of profile pictures and avatars, and as they say on the adverts, much much more. But best of all, the same old wonderful members and exciting content.

I've spent some time the last week playing around with a test install* of the new software so I'll hopefully be able to get it up and running fairly quickly. There will no doubt be cries of 'but where's the . . . ' and 'I used to be able to . . . but now I can't' and 'Waaaa, I don't respond well to change.' - keep 'em coming and I'll try and fix, modify and explain as quickly and as well as I can.

The test install is here, ipbtest/sictest and then if you want to register an account and run riot, feel free.

Couple of screenshots of how things look so far. Note the use of avatars on the home page, the popular posts block (highest rated posts in the last week, should maybe be last day?) and the sidebar on the discussion pages - open to suggestions on what should be in there. You might also notice that Google Site Search is now in the main search box.

post-3-015651900 1313679713_thumb.png

post-3-020702200 1313679761_thumb.png

• Like 1