Chinese-Forums

Rainclouds over Wushan

Tsunku

I brought this one back from China and finally watched it the other day. Has anyone else seen it? I'd recommend checking it out. The film does a good job depicting life in the three gorges area -- the way it's done the entire film has a wet quality to it.

The biggest drawback for me was the main character's really annoying mustache, and I kept waiting for it to be shaved off, but it never happened. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky you; this film doesn't seem to be available anymore or has never been available...outside of China, apparently...and a couple of reviews I've read from film festival sites mentioned the ambiguous legality of this film's standing within China.

He he. Ambiguous legality? Sounds like fun, I'll be getting a copy today - saw loads of them yesterday, but got 看车人的七月 instead (which doesn't sound as much fun as annoying mustaches and ambiguous legality).

Roddy

• 4 weeks later...
Lucky you; this film doesn't seem to be available anymore or has never been available...outside of China, apparently...and a couple of reviews I've read from film festival sites mentioned the ambiguous legality of this film's standing within China.

Hi, I'm new here. Hope I can chime in.

I just watched this film last night and was searching for reviews when I found you guys. I ordered my vcd from chinesecd.com. First time I've used them (they're in Seattle).

If we're voting, I didn't like the moustache either (reminded me of George Lam). The rest of the film gets a thumbs up from me. I enjoyed the scenes of the Wushan and brought back memories of my visit up the Yangtze last year. I think the city itself serves as a character in the film. The actors were all very good, so I guess the director should get plaudits, too. But what's with the fish in the buckets? I still thinking about that...and the ending. But that's okay because I like a little ambiguity.

cheers

Sorry, it's mychinesecd.com. Oddly, I just checked and it's no longer listed. Honest, I got it there. They sell mostly TV series and CDs but only a handful of movies.

Perhaps you can e-mail them and ask what happened.

I corresponded with a Tony at service@mychinesecd.com when I inquired to check on subs before purchasing.

layoyo.com (dvdshelf.com) has both the vcd and DVD listed, no subs indicated but my vcd cover looks the same.

• 1 month later...