Chinese-Forums

Ultraeasy Chinese shows

AlexBlackman

That brings up a serious question I have.

Should I continue using Chinese subtitles or am I not learning anything without English? For rederence I do a lot of notebook and dictionary study, and recognize hanzi from studying Japanese kanji usage.

I know that from experience, my Japanese kicked off at amazing speeds once i stopped using English subtitles, but the dact remains that I initially had English subtitles.

With Chinese i went straight to Chinese subtitles. Am I learning anything? I feel like I need to learn the readings and sentence structure, but if I don't know what they mean in English, am I just learning gibberish?

Remember, I am also taking a class and keep a line notebook and graph notebook dedicated to Chinese study, as well as read these forums. I don't want to use English subtitles, but if anyone can convince me that it will help in the long run, I'm willing to use them.

Also Japanese or Spanish subtitles are an option if anyone knows where to find them.

if I don't know what they mean in English, am I just learning gibberish?

As long as you know what they mean in Chinese :twisted:

I'd suggest trying without the subtitles at all - the widespread use of subtitles in Chinese tv and film often turns watching into an exercise in speed-reading more than listening.

Also Japanese or Spanish subtitles are an option if anyone knows where to find them.

What's the difference with English subtitles in regard to learning Chinese?

To me subtitles make me understand much more of the conversation. Doesn't really matter whether it's English or Chinese subtitles. Actually for learning I prefer Chinese subs as it saves me from translating and make me recognize just a little bit more of the conversation. Overall however I'm completely lost with only Chinese subs. Without any subtitles I'm lucky if I understand anything at all.

It probably depends on your level. When you've reached a certain level the subtitles will more distract than benefit you for learning Chinese.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have a strategy already. I'm going to dedicate certain shows to Chinese subs, certain shows to English subs, and certain shows to no subs.

I will report back in a week.

Of course, if anyone knows where to find Japanese subtitled shows I will gladly watch them to improve my Japanese while listening to Chinese.

• 2 weeks later...