Chinese-Forums

Help needed with 才 sentence (npcr 3)

Ludens

I'm not sure how to translate the following sentence(s):

他们怎样才会得到好的成绩?

(他们只要认真准备,就会得到好的成绩。)

My best try is: How can they achieve good results? (As long as they prepare seriously, they will achieve good results.)

Any advice on understanding this sentence, and especially the use of 才 would be helpful!

Creamyhorror, thanks for your comprehensive reply!!

I guess my confusion comes from the fact that the "then" meaning of 才 seems to be lost in translation to English with this sentence (What must they do to obtain good results? / How can they achieve good results?)

Would it be possible to drop 才 altogether in this sentence, resulting in 他们怎样会得到好的成绩? If possible, what's the difference between the two sentences? If not, why not?

I guess my confusion comes from the fact that the "then" meaning of 才 seems to be lost in translation to English with this sentence (What must they do to obtain good results? / How can they achieve good results?)

Would it be possible to drop 才 altogether in this sentence, resulting in 他们怎样会得到好的成绩? IIf possible, what's the difference between the two sentences? If not, why not?

Nope, that wouldn't be quite the same. The sentence without 才 actually sounds a little strange to me.

他们得到好的成绩 = They will achieve good results

他们怎样得到好的成绩? = How (by what means) will they achieve good results? (i.e., how will they get good results, assuming that they do?)

Also, note that 怎么 cannot be substituted for 怎样 here, because 怎么 expresses doubt:

他们怎么得到好的成绩? = How come they [managed to] obtain good grades? / How are they supposed to obtain good grades?

Finally, there's an implicit 做 in the original sentence:

[他们怎样()] [才] [得到好的成绩] ? = [How must they (do things)] [only then] [will they achieve good results]? = What must they do to achieve good results?

I hope that clarifies things a little.

• Like 4