Chinese-Forums

Romans in China

Ian_Lee

Seth Wheeler of NY created perforated rolls of toilet paper in a dispenser in 1871.

So before Mr Wheeler saved the world, were the Chinese using wax paper or sand paper or some other wrong kind of paper?

I think you focused on the wrong part.

It became the commercially critical product as we know it today when Seth Wheeler of NY created perforated rolls of toilet paper in a dispenser in 1871.

It's not the nature of the paper itself that made it a commercial success (after all if the Wikipedia article is correct, people have been using paper for this purpose for thousands of years) , but more the perforated roll in a dispenser.

Er... you have to bring a live goose with you? And the goose is going stay put while you're doing your thing?

These geese are toilet trained, so it’s not a problem. In this day of organic solutions, this is the next big thing. Paper is out. These babies are in. Guaranteed PETA disapproved.

So before Mr Wheeler saved the world, were the Chinese using wax paper or sand paper or some other wrong kind of paper?

I wouldn't say no. When i first visited a Chinese family in Vietnam 20 years ago, they had a pack of brown parcel paper in toilet.

Since then i never blamed the grandpapa-generation for being stubborn because they had to be tight-ass.....

yes, the romans have been here! sorry i didn't get a picture, but then you probably

don't really need...or want....to see it.

last week at the local KTV, they had a lovely unisex 呕吐池 outside the washrooms.

they seem to have misplaced the feather.

oh, yeah.....it worked just fine. my fault, explaining tequila shots.

There is also archeological evidence that Italians lived in China during the Medieval ages as traders however international trade was generally not as robust as it was in the Roman times

What do we mean medieval? Medieval for Europeans?

Do Zheng He's expeditions to the Indian Ocean count for at least some international trade? Of course, China went totally closed doors after that until the Europeans came ramming through them during the Qing, after the Qing came through the wall.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...

The ancient Romans who lived under their expansionist Empire were daily inspired by their imperial overords with a kind of missionary zeal: go forth and conquer, bring Rome's banners to faraway places which even Alexander of Macedon never dreamed of seeing. Thus, the expansionist urge may indeed have brought Roman troops into China. Apparently, the ancient Chinese of the Han period had knowledge of Rome, which they called Daqin. I have here attached a brief article concerning China and a personage called "Antun" (possibly the Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius).

ancient history - Did Romans know about China - History Stack Exchange.htm