Chinese-Forums

What is the difference between a visa and a residence permit?

Steveo

Hi all

This is probably a stupid question, but what is the difference between a visa and a residence permit?

For example, let's say I become a student, do I need both a student visa and a resident permit? If so, why?

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Steveo

• Like 2

Its not a stupid question at all Steveo. Actually, its a good one because people often mistake visas as being the end line when gaining access into China. As for the X (study) visa, I'm not quite sure how long you will stay in China. When I applied for an X visa in '2008', it was only for 6 months and no residence permit was needed. Bear in mind that was several years ago and the situation may well have changed! If you stay for longer then this could also be a factor. If you intend on becoming a full-time student, you had better check with the local visa office wherever your are, or just contact your target university.

As Imron says, the X visa (student visa) and the Z-visa (working visa) are entry visas. Both must be exchanged for residence permits within 30 days of arrival. The residence permit replaces your visa which becomes invalid when the residence permit is issued.

The residence permit allows you to stay in China while you remain a student or remain in the employment which entitled you to the permit. It also allows you to leave and re-enter mainland China freely during its validity.

• Like 2

Just to re-emphasize what liuzhou just said....

The Z and X visas themselves are only good for thirty days. I got nailed by this once because I was doing the paperwork for my own visa rather than using the agency system and it took longer than expected to get all of the health, etc. paperwork done because of conflicting demands from various organizations.

Ultimately, I got everything together and got the application in to the #@$#$#s at the exit-entry bureau a couple of days before my visa was set to expire. They granted the residence permit, but since they didn't return it (or my passport) until a day after the visa expired, decided to fine me on the spot for overstaying the visa when I picked it up. Totally ridiculous. Totally corrupt. Be careful.

Thank you for the replies everyone!

I am currently in China on a tourist visa and have just applied for a 1 year Mandarin course. So if I understand correctly my college will convert my tourist visa into a student visa, and I will then personally bring the student visa (along with my health certificate) to the police to exchange it for a residence permit?

Will the residence permit last for 12 months or is it just until my course ends (in July 2012?)

Thank you all!

• 11 months later...

Hi everybody.

I got a question about the period covered by a residence permit converted from a study (X) visa. Is's almost tha same question as that of Steveo here above... I do hope someone is going to answer me instead!

As liuzhou said,

The residence permit allows you to stay in China while you remain a student
. I would like to know more about this.

I got a scholarship for studying Chinese the fall semester at SISU in Shanghai and they sent me the documents to apply for a X visa. I will entry in mid september, so before mid October I should have my residence permit. Has the residence permit they will give me a fixed term, for exemple 6 months? Or it just cover the period of study (until mid January)?

After the course, I'd like to visit some friends in Beijing and Hk and stay in China until mid-March. Is that possible with a residence permit, if my Chinese course in Shanghai ends around mid-January?

Has the residence permit they will give me a fixed term, for exemple 6 months? Or it just cover the period of study (until mid January)?

The term of the residence permit (the length of time you will be allowed to stay in China) will differ from school to school. Most often it is until the end of the semester plus several more weeks.

After the course, I'd like to visit some friends in Beijing and Hk and stay in China until mid-March. Is that possible with a residence permit, if my Chinese course in Shanghai ends around mid-January?

It will depend on your school. Some are strict; some are generous.

• 3 years later...
  • New Members

Hello everybody,

I am about to finish my PhD from a Chinese university in Wuhan (December 2016). Recently I received an employment offer from a College based in Changsha and they want me to do the physical examination and send it along with the copy of academic documents so that they can apply for wok permit. Currently I have residence permit up till march 2017. Can anyone please enlighten me that is it OK to join this job and stay in Changsha with the help of residence permit that I have from my university or I need to cancel it and get the work permit.

Thanking you in anticipation of your help in this urgent matter!

Ahsan