Chinese-Forums

也 - also?

Jakegwood

Despite the fact that this is a well used word, it never seems to be given that much attention in books.

I found 也 in this sentence on http://www.slow-chin...ading-china-16/

“肯德基卖油条也可以,这样我们吃早餐就多了一个选择。”

I get the meaning of the sentence, but looking at context I don't understand why there is a need for 也, which to my understanding, most commonly means also.

Also, minor point. The 就多了 indicates the the breadsticks offer a larger selection than before, right? As opposed to the selection already being large.

Thanks!

1.about "也" ,

“也” means "also , too"

Why do we use a "也" in the sentence?

A: I think the problem you have with "也"is not related to grammar. You know KFC never sold the traditional Chinese food breadsticks before, which implies breadsticks were usually sold somewhere else (i.e. in Chinese restaurants or snack stalls) . In the light of this, someone said, "It's fine if KFC offers breadsticks as well. Then we will have one more alternative for breakfast."

Actually the original sentence would be better off in this way, "肯德基也可以卖油条,这样我们的早餐就多了一个选择。"

2. about "就多了"

It‘s not the matter of "就多了";actually it's the usage of "就"。It means "consequently, therefore"

As KFC sells breadsticks now, (so) we can have one more choice for breakfast.

“就” here indicates a premise-result clause which is one of "就"'s clause functions.

Such kind of premise-result patterns are

"如果。。。。就。。。。" (if......)

"只要。。。。就。。。。" (As long as .......)

• Like 1