Chinese-Forums

《平凡的世界》- Highly Recommended Reading

imron

Thanks, now I want to ask another question, now that you've read this book, how much do you feel that the story is reflective of life in China in that time period? I have to admit I got interested when you said the characters included those with disabilities.

@jkhsu: That seems to be the actual book

@imron: Since you mentioned 《空镜子》, I was wondering whether you also read that one. I ask since I recently bought this book and was planning to read it once I've finished 巴金's 《家》 (at first sight it seems easier than 《家》)。

you might want to check out these china made TV dramas:

1) 八兄弟

2) 我们那个时代 I&II

themes about modernisation, displacement, migratory workers from the rural/farmlands, city living neuroses, factory workers vs office workers, etc...themes that are mentioned in 《平凡的世界》. I haven't read the books but intend to add them to my reading list.

Are these just excerpts, summaries or the actual book?

They are the actual book, but man that website is annoying, opening an ad everytime you click a link.

Since you mentioned 《空镜子》, I was wondering whether you also read that one.

I've seen the TV drama, but haven't read the book. I might look to see if I can find it.

I have to admit I got interested when you said the characters included those with disabilities.

It's not a major part of the book, but there are a couple of minor characters with disabilities (including mental and physical disabilities) and later on one person who is wheelchair bound.

you might want to check out these china made TV dramas

I've seen a number of TV dramas that span this time period, but none of them left quite the same impression on me as this book. I guess books can go into much more detail regarding the thoughts and motivations of a character and can also provide deeper background stories. Plus I get the impression from my reading and tv watchings so far that there are many topics that can be brought up and mentioned in books, that would never make it past the TV censors and so get left out of TV dramas, or only glossed over. Thanks for the recommendations though!

• Like 2

how much do you feel that the story is reflective of life in China in that time period?

Sorry, missed this question first time around. It's difficult to say, not having lived in China in that period, but from Chinese people I have spoken with about the book, it seemed to resonate strongly with them (especially those from more rural areas). The book was also written in the early-mid 80s, so there was not such a large gap between when the story occurred and when the book was written, so I think it reflects quite well the things that it touches upon.

Sorry, missed this question first time around. It's difficult to say, not having lived in China in that period, but from Chinese people I have spoken with about the book, it seemed to resonate strongly with them (especially those from more rural areas).

Thanks, that's what I was wanting to know. This title is indeed listed in Interlibrary Loan and I just submitted a request ticket for it online.

Thanks for the recommendation!

On the cover it says the book won the “第三局茅盾文学奖” (not 矛盾...) - anybody know what kind of award this is? Is it a funny way of transliterating 'modern', or is something else going on here?

ok, ok . . . looks like it would have been better for me to just look it up! :oops:

I was wondering who the heck would name their child 茅盾, but from reading the baike page it seems he was born 沈德鸿. He chose 矛盾 as a pseudonym, which was changed by a magazine editor to 茅盾 - a change that he was happy enough with to continue using for the rest of his life.

@imron: I bought 《空镜子》 when I was in Beijing last month, but it is really difficult to find. You can order it online on Dangdang, but they only deliver it to certain places (and 海淀 wasn't one of these :-(, it's really weird), Joyo (amazon.cn) doesn't have it anymore. I went to the huge bookshops in Wangfujing, Xidan and Zhongguancun and none of these had the book, but at Zhongguancun there were willing to order it, and after a week they phoned me to tell me that the book (against all expectations) had arrived...

Relating to that website, I didn't have any ads. Apparently the ad-blocker I'm using is still working nicely :-)

Adblock Plus (I'm using the Firefox add-on).

I noticed it blocks these 2 javascript files used by the website were blocked with the default filter list on my system.

http://www.cnnovels.com/Ad1.js

http://www.cnnovels.com/Ad2.js

I also noticed that Tianyabook doesn't seem to have any ads. The book can also be found here:

http://www.tianyaboo...yao/pingfan.htm

(Edit: Added link to tianyabook)