Chinese-Forums

Grand Chinese TV Watching Challenge

roddy

Hopefully they don't do that every episode, although I suppose I can fast forward. I saw a couple other travel shows on qiyi I will check out. If folks are watching interesting travel and/or nature shows, I'd love to hear suggestions. I'm trying to diversify my tv portfolio a bit.

Oh didn't see this thread before. I'm guessing I can still participate?

Do Radio programmes like the Deutsche Welle daily programme count? I'm trying to listen to that every day.

Other than that I've watched about 16 episodes of 家有儿女 in the last week and a half. I discovered this show in here and I love how easy to understand everything is. Plus the show is actually pretty cool by itself, not exactly fascinating but quite watchable.

I've also watched the first 8 episodes of 男人帮. The show is pretty uneven. First episode was the best of all, then somehow from episodes 5 to 7 the show became worse and worse, culminating in a really dumb episode 7 full of completely artificial misunderstandings and overly dramatic scenes with people talking to each other's backs and running in slow motion. Episode 8 looks like a return to form somehow but I'm still a bit cautious.

Yes I have a lot of time on my hands these days :)

Simplet - Welcome.

I guess the same two guys that did 一路向南, also previously did 搭车去柏林, about hitchiking to Berlin. In case anyone likes these kind of travel shows.

I also checked out an episode of 汽车百年, a 12 part documentary on the history of cars. Its not bad, unfortuately they sneak in a good bit of other langauges (German, English, etc.).

Once again, I a fair number of Japanese first episodes.

刑警犬子 - Utterly ridiculous show about a young female detective with a spectacular sense of smell. This was OK, but the show banks too much on the charm of its star, and unfortunately I don't think she's quite charming enough.

SPEC - It seems like just another quirky police procedural, until the final act twist that reveals the criminal to have superpowers. This was actually quite good, and pretty funny to boot.

摔角妖精宫殿 - One day Japan will make a decent show about female professional wrestlers. That day hasn't come yet.

富豪刑事 - Crappy police procedural about an aristocratic heiress who becomes a detective. To watch this is to have your intelligence insulted roughly every 30 seconds.

华丽的间谍 - A convicted con artist gets recruited by the Japanese government to be a super spy. This was pretty good as it introduced viewers to its Austin Powers-like world, but the second half devolved into a poor reenactment of Speed. It's a shame because the male lead in this show is quite funny.

黄金猪 - A convicted con artist gets recruited by the Japanese government to be a tax fraud investigator. Not bad, but not very good either. Includes a nut-grabbing scene that is a bit hard to watch.

勇士闯魔城 - A gentle satire of Japanese RPGs. About as good as you'd expect, which is not very.

性感声音和ROBO - A middle schooler with a sexy voice and an anime robot otaku team up to solve random cases. Even though it's based on a manga, this show's pacing is sloth-like and the story unfolds in a meandering, dopey way. About 3/4 through I started reading a book.

牙狼魔界战记 - Because this week's crop was episodes was a bit weak, I broke my own rule and watched episode 2 of this show. I really like the leanness of the storytelling. It's a silly action show, and doesn't waste any time trying to convince us otherwise. I wish Chinese wuxia shows were more like this.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched some more Japanese dramas.

妖怪人间贝姆: Sci-fi/fantasy about three science experiment mutants who are trying to find a way to become human. Sort of an inverted tokusatsu show. Strange but mediocre.

怪盗Royal: A heist show starring pretty boys and girls. Maybe I didn't understand everything, but the amazing heist at the centerpiece of the show didn't seem all that amazing. Might watch the second episode to see what the deal is with the machine gun toting nun.

傻大姐 - Office romance drama with a touch of 姐弟恋. I guess it isn't bad for what it is, but it's not for me.

和恶魔契约的女人 - Revenge thriller. The weird twist in this show is that the investigator finds the killer right away. But clearly more people are going to die, so how is the killer going to keep operating while under scrutiny? It's an interesting premise, but I don't really like the slow pacing of this show.

灵能者小田雾响子的谎言 - An amusing comedy that tries to answer the question of whether parkour and fake spiritualism can be combined to create an unstoppable crime-fighting force. The answer is apparently yes. 

临死江古田 - A somewhat lowbrow comedy about a nudist who works as a hostess. Either it's not very funny or I didn't get the jokes. Both are equally possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Much of the same for me over the last few weeks. I finished up Peacock Feather (not great, but decent), am up to episode 10 in 男人帮 (I hate it less than similar shows), a little bit of 一路向南 (not as good as I had hoped, but still good), and also very much enjoying Spiderman cartoons in Chinese. I've been using the qiyi player for all these and really liking it.

What is everyone watching?

• Like 1

What is everyone watching?

I think I need to join this project b/c I haven't discovered any new (GOOD) dramas to watch in ages!

To prove that point, I just finished up re-watching 征服 & the last 1/4 of 重案六组 I.

Any good recent crime or detective dramas?

The last 'newish' one I saw was 神探狄仁杰III (Spoilers here)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How about a reboot of the challenge for 2012? If you have a 2012 TV watching goal, maybe you could offer some updates here.

I actually caught an epsiode of 武林外传 this week. That hasn't happened for a while. I plan to start a new show for the new year. I am leaning toward 黎明之前 as I have been missing 潜伏, but am undecided. While on a trip over the last two weeks or so I watched the brief 9 episode first season of Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles. The Chinese dubbing was, as expected, not great, but palatable. Great show.

If you have a 2012 TV watching goal, maybe you could offer some updates here.

I do want to watch more Chinese TV shows and movies this year, but no sure how to make that goal more specific. I would like to aim for a few episodes every week. I have time to watch my favourite American TV shows, so I should also have time to watch Chinese too.

I'm currently watching 裸婚时代 and started 我的娜塔莎 yesterday. I also like to watch 非诚勿扰 on Saturdays and Sundays.

I'm watching 裸婚时代 and 蜗居。裸婚时代 has been recommended to me by sooo many people I finally gave in, although it's not my usual choice of genre. I'm still waiting for China to produce the equivalent of Prison Break,West Wing and 24...

On another note, I found this morning that you can download audio books of 杜拉拉 and 圈子圈套 for free from apple's app store.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, long time since I posted. Had an exam to pass but since then I watched a lot of stuff.

I watched 男人帮 entirely, liked it a lot, posted my thoughts in the thread.

I highly recommend to anyone watching season 1 of 爱情公寓 before starting season two. Not that the storyline is really important but it seems that they threw away all attempts at being even remotely realistic between the two seasons. I started with season 2 a long time ago and I was really put off by the way they all seemed loaded with cash for seemingly no reason (none of them seemed to work or do anything), and were still constantly whining about it. The worst was the gold-digger girl engaged to some douche throwing away diamonds like candy. Season 1 at least makes a (rather silly but still) effort toward believability. And like everone said in the 爱情公寓 thread, 美嘉 is sorely missing in season 2. I watched 14 episodes of season 1 and got a bit fed up with it, will finish it in a little while.

Recently I started watching 中国式离婚 because someone somewhere in here recommended it and it's basically perfect study material for my level. I started watching it in the middle of 爱情公寓 and the absence of laugh-track, loud music and so forth was really refreshing. A little less cultural references too so I don't have to pause every five seconds to check baidu baike. I watch it almost continuously, looking mostly at the action but catching some of the subtitles out of the corner of my eye, it also help that the subtitles are slightly out of sync. Rushed through 15 episodes in less than a week, the story is pretty interesting, the characters are nicely developped and it goes into some pretty unexpected places for a chinese show. Looks like it's taking a turn for the uncomfortably overdramatic but it was inevitable I guess.

Did anyone watch "租个女友回家过年"? I saw it some time ago and it was ok, but it isn't listed in the first episode project. I could make a thread about it.

• Like 1