Chinese-Forums

Roguelike Games in Chinese

Daniil

Hi all!

I bet you all know or heard about roguelike games, popular in early 80s. I'm interested is there some chinese examples. Now it doesn't depend which platform it uses, i would be glad to see any of these.

谢谢

Admin edit: And for those of us who didn't have a clue:

The roguelike is a sub-genre of role-playing video games, characterized by randomization for replayability, permanent death, and turn-based movement. Most roguelikes feature ASCII graphics, with newer ones increasingly offering tile-based graphics. Games are typically dungeon crawls, with many monsters, items, and environmental features. Computer roguelikes usually employ the majority of the keyboard to facilitate interaction with items and the environment. The name of the genre comes from the 1980 game Rogue.
  • Like 2

Wow, that is old school. I have not seen many text based games in Chinese. I'm guessing games with ASCII graphics would have a tough time with Chinese characters, but I would love to see it. (Many other classic RPG franchises are available in Chinese one way or another - FF, Dragon Quest, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Diablo, some of the Elder Scrolls).

yeah, i spilled some blood to find diablo in chinese, and it will be downloading for a day or so.

I thought that with chinese characters ascii (or utf=)) games would have easier interface, since many things can be naturally expressed with one symbol

haaaaaaaaaaaa)))))) at first i started to google for the first row, and then i realized....)

That is awesome, roddy. (It took all my willpower to not give a green funny plus).

That's a good point, Daniil. Now I want to play. Verycd.com is always a good (and really slow, quite frankly) source for game downloads if you haven't taken a look.

墙地地地敌人地墙

墙宝箱地地地地墙

墙地地地地地地墙

墙地地地地地地墙

墙地地尸怪物地墙

墙地地地地地地墙

Game Over.

How much actual language would there be in these games though? I mean, look at the screenshots of Rogue linked to from the Wiki article - it's no Zork.

Roguelikes typically have ASCII graphics, but if you are okay with dungeon crawls, there are quite a few in Chinese. Most of them have been translated from Japanese.

A non-turn-based dungeon crawler would be Shining Soul 2 for GBA. This game can be run using GBA emulators on any major computing platform.

A more traditional dungeon crawler would be Shiren the Wanderer 5 for NDS. You would have to buy a flashcart to play this one.

If you are looking for a Diablo-like game, you can try Dungeon Hunter 2 for iOS (there is also an HD version for the iPad).

• Like 1

thank you guys for the replies!

to roddy: yeah, i mean exactly that - there is too little language in classic roguelikes, i.e. what does 'd' or '(' can tell you? but 狗 and 刀 is absolutely different=)

too bad there is no zh wiki page about them, only japanese.

i'll try to look for translations of mainstream roguelikes

heh, today i was too heavy on google translate..

Verycd.com is always a good (and really slow, quite frankly) source for game downloads if you haven't taken a look.

I wish there were a fast BT version of VeryCD. Their Emule network seemed pretty terrible the two or three times I tried it. (offtopic) I want 武林群侠传, but it's doesn't seem to be available, and I even signed up on two random forums to try to get it.

For Rogue-like games I like Angband the best. I loved watching the Borg computer-player play by itself. Moria was the first one I played, though, so that has a special place in my heart. I downloaded Nethack on my iPhone (it's free!) but haven't started playing it yet. And since I have to say something about Chinese or risk being off-topic: Chinese Rogue-like games would certainly be a good way to pick up lots of fantasy/adventure vocab.