Chinese-Forums

First Episode 87: 说好不分手 (Never Say Goodbye)

renzhe

A part of the Grand First Episode Project -- See this thread for more info.

Recent drama based on a 1999 movie with the same name

26 Episodes

Language Difficulty Level: Intermediate

Youtube (1080p HD)

letv

qiyi (China only)

sina

Characters:

岳琳 suicidal patient

孙正 patient's husband

冷云 doctor and main character

冷梅 her sister

林易南 her husband/reporter

钟凯旋 her former love interest

将纬纶 lawyer and 冷梅's boyfriend

燕燕 a close friend of 冷梅

盛瑞 pharmaceutical company

--- PLOT ---

A patient called 岳琳 walks into the office of a cancer doctor 冷云, after getting a message that somebody is having an affair with her husband. She finds a document, reads it and jumps out of the window. Her husband 林易南, a journalist, is called to the police station, where the woman's husband 孙正 throws a fit and threatens to sue. They talk at home, he tells her that this is why he didn't study medicine -- in journalism, there are no incurable diseases.

冷梅 is driven by her lawyer boyfriend 纬纶, and she is worried about the lawsuit. He says that 林易南 should have somebody write an article as a form of pressure. They arrive just as 林易南 is trying to apologise to the husband, only to get punched in the face. On the way back, the lawyer says that they should file a lawsuit, which 冷云 doesn't want. They agree that the husband of the dead woman is acting strange -- playing Mahjong shortly after his wife killed herself.

冷云 is visited by 钟凯旋, her first love from school days. She has refused to talk to him for the last 10 years, and the disagreement seems to have something to do with a drug called A56. 林易南 asks his colleague 丁 how he found out his last wife was cheating on him, he says you only need the mobile phone number and gives him a business card. While his wife is operating on a young girl 李秀兰, he decides to ask for some information with the doctors (called 王) in the hospital instead, where we see how the docroes are to a migrant worker waiting for his wife's operation. A minute later, she gives information about a difficult case to a fancy young girl 燕燕 (the roommate of her sister 冷梅) representing a pharmaceutical company 盛瑞.

林易南 finds 孙正 and confronts him about an affair he had with his secretary 李美丽, who sent the last message to his wife. At home, they celebrate. 林易南 comments how lawyers always get paid, win or lose; doctors are expected to always cure people. 将纬纶 drives 冷梅 home and tries to convince him to let him in, but she avoids it, blaming it on her friend. 燕燕 shows up at 冷云's office and gives the old man 2000 yuan to pay for the operation. She leaves some drug brochure with her. We later find out that 将纬纶 is working as a lawyer for 盛瑞. We also find out that 冷云 is not pregnant, although she was feeling ill while shopping.

--- PLOT END ---

民工 [míngōng] migrant laborer; peasant worker

弱势群体 [ruòshìqúntǐ] disadvantaged groups of people

关注 [guānzhù] pay close attention to

派出所 [pàichūsuǒ] local police station

撒野 [sāyě] throw a fit

不治之症 [búzhìzhīzhèng] incurable disease

患者 [huànzhě] a patient

肿瘤 [zhǒngliú] tumor

抗议 [kàngyì] protest

存心 [cúnxīn] deliberately

知情同意书 [zhī qíng tóng yì shū] informed consent form

遗嘱 [yízhǔ] will

老年痴呆 senile dementia

福尔摩斯 [fú'ěrmósī] (Sherlock) Holmes

呼吁 [hūyù] an appeal

卖命 [màimìng] work oneself to the bone

撤诉 [chèsù] drop charges

私了 [sīliǎo] settle … privately

成全 [chéngquán] help someone get what he/she wants

高尚 [gāoshàng] noble

嬉皮笑脸 [xīpíxiàoliǎn] grin cheekily

资助 [zīzhù] financial aid

下三烂 [xiàsānlàn] dirty, indecent

急诊 [jízhěn] emergency treatment

闺密 slang, a term that young girls use for close female friends

乌鸦嘴 [wū yā zuǐ] lit. crow's mouth, jinx

This one definitely has promise. It's a drama kind of drama -- no magic, no time travelling, no funny bits, no singing, just drama. It's modern, the language is very clear and understandable and full of useful vocabulary. There are interesting characters, and interesting background, without international spy conspiracies or similar stuff that shows like these are usually plagued with.

I will watch some more of this and see how it develops.

post-16843-0-22820500-1316296973_thumb.jpg

post-16843-0-40250700-1316296980_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Gave this one a watch and enjoyed it. This is not really the type of show I'd usually watch, but it is right at a good difficulty (not hard, not easy) so I should probably watch more. The first episode has a few lighthearted moments, but I'm concerned later episodes might be wall-to-wall crying. I completely missed what that A56 part was about, so thank you for the write up.

These HD shows are spoiling me. You can actually read people's phones when they receive a text message.

Also, minor pet peeve, but the beginning and ending segements of Chinese shows have way too many potential spoilers. I always fast forward through them, but I couldn't help but watch the ending of this one. It is some sort of spoken word song. Kind of interesting.

下三烂 [xiàsānlàn] dirty, indecent

This is interesting. I've always known this term as 下三濫 and had never seen it written as 下三爛. But both of them are listed in the Taiwan MOE Dictionary, which says they have the same meaning. :)