Chinese-Forums

用“一时” help!

bunny87

so, i attended class today (day 3) but I don't have the book. i was lucky enough to get homework too, which was composed of questions from the book. now, it's not that i'm lazy or poor, it's that the book is sold out until Friday when they get another shipment. anyways, i copied down the questions and answered them too. but if you could just let me know if it's correct or not, i would really appreciate it! if they are all wrong, don't bother fixing it. just perhaps give me a simple explanation and i'll go back and use any suggestion to fix/edit this.

so, it's my understanding that 一时 is a synonym to 一会儿 and defined by Pleco's ABC dictionary as "NOUN 1. a period of time 2. a short while ~ xiang bu qilai ~想不起来 can't recall it offhand. CONS. ~ A ~ B now A, now B; one moment A, the next B. tianqi ~ leng, ~ re. 天气~冷~热。The weather is now cold, now hot"

so the way the assignment works is to fill in the blank and 用“一时”.

1.我的电脑坏了————————————. wo de diannao huai le. my computer broke...

2.他的身体刚恢————————————. ta de shenti gang huifu. his health (just/extremely/barely) restored...

3. 这种性病很难治——————————————。zhe zhonh xingbing hen nanzhi. this kind of venereal disease is difficult to cure

4. 到了一个新的地方———————————过一段时间就好了。daole yige xin de difang ______guo yi duan shijian jiu haole. i arrived at a new place ________ and going there one time is just enough.

5. 这次旅行中发生的有意思的事很多,——————————————以后慢慢跟你说。zhe ci lv xing zhong fasheng de you yisi de shi hen duo, _______ yihou manman gen ni shuo. this time travelling in the middle happened to be have a lot of very interesting occurences. _________ afterwards slowly speak with you.

6.现在路上堵车很厉害——————————————。xianzai lushang duche hen lihai. right now on the street is a terrible traffic jam.

7.今天的作业比较多,明天还有听写,——————————————————。jintian de zuoye bijiao duo, mingtian haiyou tingxie. todays homework is a lot, tomorrow there's also a quiz, ______。

SO. My answers are below.... pinyin and bold characters. (even if you can't help, at least you might learn some random pinyin and characters from this post. like venereal disease. when was i supposed to learn that?!? i didn't know it in english, never the less chinese. thank god for wikipedia.)

1. 我的电脑坏了, suoyi zai walmart yishi kan xinde diannao.
  2. 他的身体刚恢, suoyi yishi paobu.
  3. 这种性病很难治, yinggai yi shi gei nvpengyou da dian hua.
  4. 到了一个新的地方, yishi kanle hen ke de xixuegui 吸血鬼过一段时间就好了
  5. . 这次旅行中发生的有意思的事很多,yishi gen lvshi shuo hua, 以后慢慢跟你说
  6. 现在路上堵车很厉害,yishi gei gongzuo da dianhua.
  7. 今天的作业比较多,明天还有听写,wo yishi meiyou shuijiao.

1. 我的电脑坏了, 所以在超市看新的电脑
  2. 他的身体刚恢, 今天一时跑步了。
  3. 这种性病很难治,应该一时给女朋友打电话。
  4. 到了一个新的地方, 一时看了很渴的吸血鬼,过一段时间就好了
  5. . 这次旅行中发生的有意思的事很多,一时跟律师说话,以后慢慢跟你说
  6. 现在路上堵车很厉害,一时给工作打电话。
  7. 今天的作业比较多,明天还有听写,我一时没有睡觉。

so, it's my understanding that 一时 is a synonym to 一会儿

It's not, not exactly. 一时 means "for a short, temporary moment", and is often applied in a negative way (hard to describe, though). For example:

~想不起来 = Couldn't recall it for a moment / that moment.

天气~冷~热 = The weather is capricious, turning hot and cold from moment to moment

我一时举不起例子 = I can't think of an example for the moment

盛行一时 = Ascendant/popular for a short while

一时疏忽,搞错了 = I was careless for a moment, and got it wrong

他一时冲动之下向她求婚了 = On an impulse, he asked her to marry him

So your sentences are basically all incorrect, unfortunately :( Those blanks aren't easy to fill in IMO.

Jukuu's examples may help your understanding (I got the above examples from it).

• 我的电脑坏了, 所以在超市看新的电脑(一时修不好)
  • 他的身体刚恢复, 今天一时跑步了。(一时不能剧烈运动/跑步了)
  • 这种性病很难治,应该一时给女朋友打电话。(恐一时不能好转/痊愈)
  • 到了一个新的地方, 一时看了很渴的吸血鬼 (一时不适应是有的),过一段时间就好了
  • . 这次旅行中发生的有意思的事很多,一时跟律师说话 (一时讲不完)以后慢慢跟你说
  • 现在路上堵车很厉害,一时给工作打电话。(一时赶不过来)
  • 今天的作业比较多,明天还有听写,我一时没有睡觉。(一时让人烦恼)

like venereal disease. when was i supposed to learn that?!?

Yeah I'm currently having to learn 痢疾 which likewise cannot say I know in English.

Much of your sentences are further beyond me but I'll chip in with the 一时 being temporarily camp.

The above jukuu link doesn't seem to work but nciku has a fair few examples http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detail/%E4%B8%80%E6%97%B6/1317891

thank you all so much for the help on the use of 一时, it makes so much more sense now. and i love that you both provided examples. you both probably had a good laugh at mine. they were, in fact, all wrong. haha. but i've got the grammar down now. so when i buy the book on friday i can simply skim and move on to everything else i've missed. which, we're having a test on friday. i'm screwed.

i think i've ran into creamyhorror a few times in the forum now, but peter, you're a new one. thank you for the help!!

@primone- my chengyu and idiom knowledge is pretty bad. by pretty bad, i mean practically non-existant. except for the dozen or two we saw in the 口语 class i just had a day or two ago. my god i've lost track of time.

@gymnosopher, the jukuu link worked for me. maybe jukuu doesn't like xi'an? or was it open when i found it and then blocked by the time you got to it? (i got to this yesterday, but fell asleep in the middle of responding. literally.

as far as copying the book is concerned... i keep getting people willing to do make a copy, but our schedules won't work, or they never returned to class (absent? bumped down a level? don't know). and even the teacher won't help. "go find a classmate". thanks teacher, great advice.