Chinese-Forums

Pimsleur Progress

xuechengfeng

quite why it seemed like a good idea to transcribe starting at 2 27 I don't know but here it is ... simplified because I am in Shanghai Cheers Bill

欢迎光临

您 是 什么时候 到 的

我 是 昨天 到的

您是跟谁 一起到 的

我是 跟我 的太太一起 到 的

对不起哪儿可以换钱

我想换rmb

附近有银行吗

哪儿有一家银行

那儿有 一 家银行

哪儿可以换钱

那儿有一家中国银行

你可以走路去那儿

也有一家上海银行

可是中国银行更近

比上海银行近

中国银行比上海银行近

你可以在那儿换钱

我在那儿换钱了

你是什么时候换钱的

我是昨天换钱的

那么我要去中国银行

我要马上就去银行

因为我没有rmb

我得失陪了

我得去银行

我得马上就去银 行

哪儿可以换钱

那儿有一 家上海银行

可是中国银行更近

我有马上就去中国银行

我 可以跟你一起去吗

我们可以一起去吗

欢迎光临

我想换rmb

多少钱

你想换多少钱

一仟美金

一仟五百

三仟

一家茶馆

附近有一家茶馆

欢迎光临

我要茶

我想要一杯茶

绿

绿茶

你喜欢绿茶吗

喜欢,我很喜欢绿茶

你要去青岛, 对吧?

对, 我这个星期三去

快车

怎么说快车

火车

飞机

你做飞机去吗

火车

你做火车去吗

是的, 我做火车去青岛

会来

你什么时候会来

我在这儿只呆几天

我 在 这儿只呆几天

我 想 喝一点儿东西

你喜欢绿茶吗

我很喜欢绿茶

中午

星期六

星期天

我星期天会来

我在青岛只呆几天

只呆几天

我也要去南京

我做火车去南京

你 要在青岛呆多久

我 要 在 那儿 呆一个星期

我有很多工作要做

我 很 忙

我星期天会来

中午

你一个人去青岛吗

不陈先生也去

他要在 那儿呆两个星期

我在青岛只呆几天

你做火车去吗

还是做飞机去

我 做火车去南京

可是我做飞机去青岛

I tried listening to Pimsleur for a little bit to improve my grammar, but I just couldn't stomach it. I crack up laughing every time I hear that accent. It may just be because I've been in Taiwan too long, and not used to hearing a Beijing accent anymore - but isn't that accent a little to thick and exaggerated?

The dude sounds like Mr. Bean.

Also, I'm worried about the content of Pimsleur courses. I started with Pimsleur Japanese, thinking that I was listening to authentic Japanese, but was disappointed to find out that Pimsleur programs aren't adjusted to the language. For example: In the the Japanese course, they teach you, "Nanika tabetai desu" (as I remember 8) ) as "I want to eat something", which is fine. It's gramatically correct, and my Japanese friends didn't flinch when I said it to them - I was understood straight away. I thought this was a standard way that Japanese people would let someone know they're hungry and they want to eat something.

It wasn't until I listened to the Chinese lessons, when they started teaching the exact same thing "Wo yao chi yidian dongxi" that I realised what kind of programme Pimsleur is. "Wo yao chi yidian dongxi" is just an example, but I have never ever heard anyone use this phrase, and many others. My friends usually say something more like "duzi hao e", "yao chi fan" and so on. Pimsleur doesn't take into account how things are actually said in a language - it just goes over the same English sentences and tells you how to say them in another language.

I tested some of the Pimsleur Japanese sentences on my friends again and then asked them if they would ever say it like I said. Their answer? "Hell no!"

I'm sure Pimsleur has many good points, but I don't think their programmes are very well customised for the language they're teaching. I'm still debating whether I should continue with the Japanese programme. I was learning and remembering a lot of stuff quickly, but I think I might be better off using other learning methods. I don't want to end up speaking in a way that's gramatically correct, but just ignores how native speakers of that language actually speak.

Anyone else have different experiences?

• 2 weeks later...

Tetsuo500 - maybe FSI chinese/japanese courses would be better from that perspective. I've only used the Turkish one, but it seems to have been tailored to the language (although the language might have a bit of a diplomat bias - some of the early vocab includes 'embassy', consulate' etc.)

There's lots of info about them at http://how-to-learn-any-language.com; some of the guys in the forum are using them.

It wasn't until I listened to the Chinese lessons, when they started teaching the exact same thing "Wo yao chi yidian dongxi" that I realised what kind of programme Pimsleur is. "Wo yao chi yidian dongxi" is just an example, but I have never ever heard anyone use this phrase, and many others. My friends usually say something more like "duzi hao e", "yao chi fan" and so on. Pimsleur doesn't take into account how things are actually said in a language - it just goes over the same English sentences and tells you how to say them in another language.

hehe, we often kind of say that in Shanghainese. 我要吃一眼物事, wo yau che gnei mezi. But do you actually say, "I want to eat something" in English all the time? I mean, that was the translation you were given in English too, right? The English sounds just as long-winded as it does in Mandarin; no less, no more. I don't see what the problem is then.

"duzi hao e" is just "I'm hungry."

"yao chi fan" is just "i want to eat."

"duzi hao e" is just "I'm hungry."

Yup. There are a lot of ways to say the same thing and that's to be expected.

I don't like the Pimsleur approach. I have all three comprehensives for Mandarin, but I always look up the pinyin for new words and research the grammar that they are teaching. I do the same thing with Rosetta Stone--I don't buy their contextual approach, either. I find them both to be useful resources, but I find it best to tackle language acquisition from as many angles as possible.