Chinese-Forums

Connecting Adjectives in Chinese

Kongming21

Hey everyone,

something I have always been rather unsure about was how to connect two adjectives(SV) in Chinese. I know that in many cases you can simply but them next to each other for example saying 漂亮精致的。。。。but I dont know when one can do so? Do the two adjectives have to be of similar meaning? I also know that for adjectives that are similar in meaning 而 can be used, but I am equally unsure about this way of connecting adjectives.

Apart from these two ways, what other ways are there to connect adjectives? I at least think that 和 and 与 cannot be used, as they are only used to connect nouns or noun phrases.

WOuld be very grateful if someone could clear this up.

漂亮精致 isn't a four character combination in my dictionaries. In written from just do like mentioned above and use commas. BTW the right slanting comma can be produced on the computer with the \ key above enter while in Chinese typing mode.

她是一个很美、很高的女生。

When you mentioned 漂亮精致 you said "spoken". I bet that in spoken form the 、comma isn't paused at for long so it doesn't seem like it is there -- just more spoken style.

Hello,

You may connect two adjectives by using a 又... 又 ... (both ... and ...),like this : 她是一个又文静又漂亮的女孩子。But never, never use 和 nor 与 for that purpose !

I think that 而 is a bit more formal and literary. Moreover, it is often (though not always) used to underline a contrast between two aspects of the qualified noun, as in 贫穷而幸福。

Best regards.

• Like 1

It seems you can also use 及, but it may be a bit written/formal. I'm seeing it on Wikipedia, for instance. Here's an example:

始祖鳥約為現今鳥類的中型大小,有著闊於末端圓形的翅膀,並比體型較長的尾巴。

http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-tw/%E5%A7%8B%E7%A5%96%E9%B8%9F

Other than that I can't tell you too much about it.

Thanks for all the replies. 漂亮精致 indeed is not a set expression it is just an example of two adjectives being put together without a comma or anything. At least in written texts I have often seen such combined adjectives. However I am not sure whether the right-slanting comma isnt just ommited.