Chinese-Forums

Newspaper dedicated to learning Chinese

serious

Hello,

to enhance my limited Chinese skills I'd like to read some newspapers articles, but diving into original articles seems quite difficult.

So I was wondering if you'd know about "newspapers" dedicated to beginners with translated articles, grammar and vocabulary.

I know this kind of resource exists for Spanish, German, and more generally European languages, but I've not find any for Chinese.

So if you have any idea, including not free, do not hesitate to share :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

While this is not exactly what you want, college-level Chinese learners of English like to read 21st Century, and this might work for you, even though the basic articles are written in English, the newspaper has a fair amount of bilingual content, I'm not sure about translated articles, but there's lots of vocab and grammar called out in English and in Chinese, and you get the benefit of reading what young Chinese people are interested in ...

You can visit the website here 21st Century, but I recommend picking up the paper at a local newsstand (if you are in China) ... Published weekly ...

• Like 1

not exactly current newspaper articles, but this site has stories ...http://www.chinesestoriesplatform.com/index.php

and this one has well as newspaper articles and stories...http://collections.uiowa.edu/chinese/LoginPage.html

the literature is available in beginner, intermediate, and advanced.

you will need to create a free account to log into the Univ of Iowa material, but ive been using the Univ of Iowa intermediate texts and ive learned a lot.

• Like 1

Probably not exactly what you're looking for but my class gets to select an article each week from gurulu.com and we read and discuss. They picked a news article about Jacky Chan's 100th movie and next week they picked an article about China's version of Lady Gaga. It's about as close to a newspaper that a 3rd semester class can read.

• Like 1

http://www.chinasmack.com/ often publishes translations of Chinese articles on hot stories, with the original Chinese text available if you mouse over the English translation. There's no grammar or vocabulary notes, though, and quite a bit of internet slang is thrown in. Still, I sometimes enjoy browsing through the news there.

You could also consider giving the Taiwanese 國語日報 a shot. It's a newspaper aimed at schoolchildren, and there's no translations, but there are sometimes notes on difficult words. The good thing is that it's all in Chinese - and there's 注音符號 next to all the characters, so you don't have to look up the pronunciation of unknown characters if you can read bopomofo.

• Like 1