Chinese-Forums

Entry, L-visa, and passport expiration dates

dreamon

Hello, China travelers,

Suppose a foreigner wants to enter China on date D and depart on D + 10, but his passport expires on D + 3 + (6 months). Is this permitted? If that foreigner applies for tourist L-visa, will it be granted only for entry up to D + 3, rather than for 3 / 6 / 12 months, which means that he should apply for the cheapest visa possible (1 entry, 3 months)? If the L-visa will be granted for its full period, can it be used for another entry with a new passport later on? Or is it only valid in its own old passport?

Thank you!

Not sure I follow your math, but this might help.

http://www.china-emb...zgqz/t84246.htm

1. Your valid passport must have at least six (6) months of remaining validity.

2. Visas of different lengths all cost the same.

3. So far as I know, a visa is only good for the passport in which it was initially issued. (I could be wrong on that.)

abcdefg> Your valid passport must have at least six (6) months of remaining validity.

On the day of the entry? Or exit? If it is just 2 days over 6 months of remaining validity, can they deny entry?

abcdefg> Visas of different lengths all cost the same.

Not true for non-US citizens.

abcdefg> So far as I know, a visa is only good for the passport in which it was initially issued. (I could be wrong on that.)

If I remember correctly, a US visa in an old (even expired) passport is good with a new passport, if one carries both the old and the new passports. Of course, the visa itself must be unexpired. So, what you say is not obvious.

Sorry @dreamon. I'm not a visa expert and I was just quoting the information on the website (China Embassy -- US.) Guess you need to Google it for other countires.

EDIT:

For what it's worth, the website I gave you (China Embassy -- US) says:

Ⅰ.Please submit the following materials for your application:

1.A valid passport as well as a copy of its information page: Your valid passport must have at least six (6) months of remaining validity and at least one blank visa page in it.

That direct quote refers to their criteria for issuing a visa, not to the regulations regarding how or when to use it. In other words, the Chinese Embassy won't issue you any kind of visa unless the passport you send them has at least six months left before it expires.

http://www.china-emb...zgqz/t84246.htm

That same website page contains a fee scale. I made the (apparently erroneous) assumption that you were American from your prior posts.

post-20301-0-08177000-1318603948_thumb.jpg

can it be used for another entry with a new passport later on? Or is it only valid in its own old passport?

No, if you get a new passport you need a new visa.

My understanding of the 6 month rule is that they want to make absolutely sure you can't be in China when the visa expires. The rule of thumb they seem to use is your passport needs to have greater validity than the validity (enter before) period of the visa plus 3 months. So, if you're applying for a single entry, three month validity visa, your passport needs to have at least 6 months validity from the date the visa is granted. (This assumes your stay period is 90 days or less, if its more, adjust accordingly). If you're applying for a double entry, sixth month validity visa, your passport needs to have at least nine months validity from the date the visa is granted.

Having said that, like all things Chinese, it varies from place to place, time to time, and person to person. Just apply for the visa you want. They will tell you if you can't get it.

Here are the visa rules of the U.S. Consulate (in Guangzhou), and they say: "Additionally, passports must be valid for six months beyond the date the traveler will depart from the United States. ... Therefore, when you arrive at the port of entry, your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the date you will exit the United States. If your U.S. visa is contained in an expired passport, or a passport that will expire in less than six months, you should obtain a new valid passport and carry both the new passport and the old passport containing your valid U.S. visa. If you travel with both passports, there is no need to re-apply for a new visa unless the visa has itself expired."

So, it is not obvious at all whether China requires 6-months passport validity at exit or at entry. I did not yet see an unambiguous official statement that would clarify this point. I agree, though, that they seem to require this at entry, as opposed to the U.S.

roddy> Dreamon, what are you actually talking about? What passport do you have, and where are you going?

I am talking about China, is it not clear from the root message? I use the U.S. regulations as an illustration. I use them because they are clearly stated, unambiguous, as opposed to the Chinese rules. The U.S. rules clearly state that the passport must be valid for 6 months since the exit date. The Chinese rules seem to imply that the passport must be valid for 6 months since the entry date. I want to double-check this with those who have the experience of entering China on a passport that is nearly 6 months to expiry. Or with those who know the rules precisely. How can I say this more clearly, roddy? Please teach me. The passport in question is Russian.

"Or with those who know the rules precisely"

China has few precise rules, they are up to the interpretation of the person issuing visas.

I've done things that can't be done 100 times over, and on occasion found I can't do things I should be able to do.

Is it not possible to get an urgent passport replacement in Russia?

Matty> Is it not possible to get an urgent passport replacement in Russia?

In Russia itself, maybe - if you are prepared to pay up (to well-connected tourist agencies that service rich people). In a Russian consulate located in the U.S. new passport issue takes 3 to 4 months.

If someone was able to enter China on a tourist visa with a passport that expires in less than 6 months after the official exit date, without any special arrangements, that's evidence enough for me. (Or, on the contrary, if someone tried and failed or had to make special arrangements or cut short the duration of stay.)

• 5 months later...
http://www.visarite.com have always provided excellent service to many students of my school and could likely give you definite answers if you contact them.
So, basically an American who wishes to get an L Tourist Visa has 2 options:

1) Apply in person to 1 of 6 Chinese Consulates/Embassy in the US (New York, NY, Chicago, IL, San Francisco, CA, Los Angeles, CA, Houston, TX & Washington D.C,). (You cannot directly mail your passport & application to any of them.) This will cost you just the base $140.00 Consular Fee.

2) Mail your passport & application to a private Visa service company (like VisaRite or say, ExpressVisa2China) and have them submit it and mail it back to you. This will generally cost you the $140.00 Consular Fee + an extra Service & Return Shipping Fee (~$50-$75).

With a US Passport L visa:

1) Fanglu is wrong. A visa in an old passport works with a new passport (I did this before personally).

2) 6 month remaining on date of entry is also correct, not 6 month remaining from when you are expected to leave (did this before myself as well ).

One data point that might answer the OP's question.

I just applied for an L- visa to China for me and my daughter. Her passport has only 7 month validity left when we applied.

I received a 1 year, multiple entry, 90 day stay.

She received a 6 month, multiple entry, 90 day stay.

The consulate informed us explicitly that she got only a 6 month due to her passport expiring. However, if you do the math, you'll note that 6 month validity + 90 days stay = 2 month beyond her passport validity.

Three caveats.

1. We went through an agency, which may affect things.
  2. The itinerary we provided had us returning such that when we left China, she had > 6 months still left on her passport
  3. She is a minor, and they might not be as strict about visas for a 4-year-old as they would for an adult.

• 2 weeks later...
thanks. Just realised they are based in the US though :wall not much help for us already on the mainland

Hi Friedrich! Yes, they are based in the US and don't have overseas offices.

We supply our own students with visas here in Shijiazhuang, so don't need a mainland China agent.

Good luck with your search.