Chinese-Forums

Which 華人 singers/bands do you recommend? (or dislike)

bluepoppy

新年快樂! :clap

I really love listening to Chinese music, but I'd like to listen to something new... Since I've not been there for ages I've 'lost touch' a bit with new music. So, who does everyone else listen to? I will check them out. And it's interesting to know anyway. Seems like Jay Chou is really popular with people studying Chinese.

At the moment I mainly listen to: 周杰倫, 王菲,王力宏,陶喆,孫燕子,伍佰...

All mainstream, I know... but I don't mind what kind of music it is, for European music I listen to all kinds, Indie/Rock/Pop/Classical.

Please help me out cos I am driving myself mad by listening to 葉慧美 and 唯一 over and over ...and I can't find an emoticom for that feeling either.

Well, I love all kinds of music, and that goes for Chinese music as well... I'm not really into mainstream pop, but I like some songs by Amei Cheung, Sun Yanzi, Wang Lee Hom etc. I'm a big fan of Chinese rock, I love Cui Jian, Zi Yue, Baojiajie 43 hao, Tang Chao, Dou Wei, Zhang Yadong, Tian Zhen (if you call her music rock) as well as many younger boys and girls active in the rock scene. I like traditional Chinese music, like the sound of pipa, zheng and erhu, for example. But that's certainly not new music :wink: But I've never cared whether music's new or old, what difference does it make, really? :D My other favorites include (not talking about any style in particular) the late James Wong Jim, Eugene Pao, Ai Jing, Liu Yuan, Qi Qin, Luo Dayou, Wu Bai, Wakin Chau, okay, there are very many 8)

Hi Vellu,

I love all music too! That's why I want to learn more about Chinese music...

For example, I know a sort of overall picture of English music over the last 100 years..no, make that 50 years...and sometimes you can sort of link the music to changes in society as a whole. Or, you can see different periods of music...like Punk, Techno, Indie, New Wave, House, etc. So

Im really interested in the different periods of Chinese music...like e.g. I have a CD by 張信哲, and at the beginning of a song there is an old, Twenties-style song... (could be later though)....sounds like a 78... Does anyone know about this kind of old music? Does anyone know about the development of Chinese music...how it has changed and reflects society?

What I mean by new music is 'new music' for me...doesn't have to be actually new! Cos I have a restricted view of Chinese music...only know a few artists...

So, Cui Jian and Ai Jing I know... I will try and find the others, thanks.

Wu Bai is totally briliant, isn't he? I love his lyrics, and the way his music uses real instruments and not Casio keyboard/80's synthesizers. Couldn't he be famous outside of Asia? What do you think? And he is so good-looking :wink:

Isn't Zi Yue that Beijing band? Does it mean something rude? Is it them? I will try and listen to them.

What about Shou ren...(thin person)?Do you like them?

I love Cui Jian, Zi Yue, Baojiajie 43 hao, Tang Chao, Dou Wei, Zhang Yadong, Tian Zhen (if you call her music rock) as well as many younger boys and girls active in the rock scene.

Cuijian is by far my favorite. I especially like his lyrics, best Chinese lyrics I've seen. (i.e. his fourth album--The Power of the Powerless)

Do you know He Yong and Zhang Chu? Some of their old songs are pretty good.

何勇 and 張楚

I like their stuff too.

Yes, 子曰 (Ziyue) is a Beijing band. I just love their first album, and the second one, or the one by 爻釋子曰, is good too.

Can't really say if I think Wu Bai's brilliant.. but I can say I like his style 8)

I think it's most interesting taking a look at Chinese society and the development of music.. For example, the effect of what happened in 1949 or during the cultural revolution on Chinese music is obvious. One can wonder how revolutionary themes can actually almost replace something so valuable as a cultural treasure as traditional Chinese music..

On Andrew F. Jones' book "Like a knife" (which is very interesting reading) there's some translated lyrics from a song by Xie Chengqiang, about the development of popular music in China : "The 30's was a laid-back melody, the 40's a tender threnody, the 50's had a vigorous feel, as all the nation smelted steel, the 60's sang ´going down to the country´, the 70's model operas were revolutionary, the 80's was breakdance but that's not all, there was a fever of rock and roll. Still many songs to sings, what's the 90's gonna bring?"

Well, we know that now :D

While I've been looking I found that Modern Sky(摩登天空)seems to be a really interesting label, with some information on new underground bands. Maybe that's old news to most people...dunno

http://www.modernsky.com/

I might buy some cds from their website...but they only accept a bank transfer as payment. That's a bit of a pain if you know English banks...they're only open when you're working, I have no time to dash out at lunch and queue for half an hour...

Vellu, I was confusing Zi Yue with the band Zi Wei that I read about on the Modern Sky website (Won't post the characters...the distinction is very clear though)

:oops:

I once saw Zi Yue translated as 'Sperm Bank' (if I remember correctly). I always thought it would be 'Confucius Said'.

The music Vellu mentions is all very very good, Beijing rock is the best.

• 3 weeks later...
I once saw Zi Yue translated as 'Sperm Bank' (if I remember correctly). I always thought it would be 'Confucius Said'.

The music Vellu mentions is all very very good, Beijing rock is the best.

I've heard the name "Zi Yue" is meant to be " I f#ck".

Has anyone heard of Black Duck?

What style are Black Duck? Beijing rock as well?

Which 瘦人 shou ren/Thin Man CD does everyone like best?

I like listening to 與非門 Yu Fei Men at the moment...it's the band Roddy recommended, trip hop, lead singer has a very nice voice.

"Black Duck is a popular group founded by three professionally trained violinists from the Central Music Conservatory. They provide their own unique take on Chinese folk songs and popular music from the 1980's and 90's."

http://www.chinasprout.com/shop/MCT047

I really know very little about them but I love their voices and melody.

Homer