Chinese-Forums

the various uses of 将

MaLaTang

here are 4 sentences containing 将. I have tried my best to translate them but 将always gives me trouble. Please correct any mistakes, and add another example sentence containing 将 if you like. Also, what is the best online dictionary that contains example sentences with the BEST translations in english? I currently am using nicku and dict.cn but was wondering if there are others that can provide better example sentences with better translations.

1。上海的观众有机会一睹世界电影大师的风采.

2。这片电影历史故事和中国西北农村的人情风俗融合在一起.

3。参赛的17部影片中,有4部影片将在本届电影节举行世界首映式

4。2006年中国博客规模超过6000万.

1. The Shanghai audience will have an opportunity to see the elegance of the world's films.

2. This film uses historical tales and mixes them with rural northwest China's social customs.

3. Among the 17 movies competing, there are 4 that will make their world premiere in this year's film festival.

4. In 2006, the number of Chinese blogs will exceed *6000. (or is this 6 million??)

将 has two basic usages, both being rather formal:

1. It is used like the preposition 把, placing the object in front of the verb and complement. Sentence 2 from the examples you have given illustrates this usage.

革命进行到底. - Carry the revolution through to the end. Same as 革命进行到底. (From 现代汉语虚词词典)

2. Used in a manner similar to 要 and 会, both meaning that something will happen in the future. Sentences 1, 3 and 4 all show this usage.

他们提前回国. - They will return in advance. Same as 他们提前回国. (ibid.)

• Like 2

将 have many different meaning in Chinese

1. 快要:~要。~至。~来。即~。(will)

带领,扶助:~雏。扶~。~军。(to lead,to help)

拿,持:~心比心。(To use, to take)

把:~门关好。(Ask people to do sth, e.g. 将苹果拿过来.)

下象棋时攻击对方的“”或“帅”。(Special name in Chinese chess)

6. 顺从:~就(迁就,凑合)。~计就计。(To put up with sth, to tolerate)

IMHO, a more accurate rendering of sentence 2 would be "This movie mixes historical tales and rural northwest China's social customs." Although 将, like 把, can also mean "take, use, make use of", its function in this sentence is purely grammatical, placing the object before the verb.

• Like 1