Chinese-Forums

downloading zhuang zi

rezaf

• 3 weeks later...

In Chinese. Actually I'm looking for something to download on my iPod. I found a book called 莊子今註今釋 but it is written vertically in pdf format which makes it difficult to read on my small screen. I couldn't find anything on iTunes store but if the text can be opened by word or pages I can probably modify it to fit into my screen.

Respect to you for trying to read that. Reading 莊子 has been my ultimate goal for learning Chinese -- once I can read that comfortably, I will feel I've achieved my goal of being able to "read Chinese". I bought the 三民書局 (?) edition in Taiwan in 1989, intending to learn to read it, but it's been sitting on my shelf, mocking me for over 20 years now. Some day, I promise, I will be victorious.

jbradfor, that is an ambitious goal. It won't be easy to attain a level that you can read it "comfortably" because for most people like rezaf and me we have to learn how to read it with the help of explanations and/or translation. But don't lose heart. :D

• Like 2

because for most people like rezaf and me we have

Of course there is a big gap between "rezaf" and "me" but as sky lee says no matter what your level is, reading some of these books would never be very easy. I don't know much about classical Chinese but even at my level I think it's good to read these books because if I start now probably after 20 years I will start to understand them. :mrgreen:

• Like 2

I don't think anyone could read the Zhuangzi without consulting the commentaries at least every now and then. You can probably read and understand it without looking at the Mandarin translations, but you can't do without the commentaries. But then this is true for pretty much every educated speaker of Chinese - not only now, but also in the past dozen centuries, I'd guess. So I wouldn't say having to consult the commentaries means you can't read the Zhuangzi comfortably. It actually means your skills are in line with those of normal educated speakers of Chinese...so I'd say give it a shot, jbradfor! I have a 三民書局 edition here as well, and I'd be happy to read a few passages together with you :)

I just briefly read 逍遙游 with the help of the explanations in skylee's first link. The meaning is very deep but the language is not that difficult. In fact it is very direct and simple in comparison to other classical texts. I need to read it more times but at first glance the style of writing is pretty impressive and beautiful.

Thanks for the encouragement :) Although I should say that by "read that comfortably", I mean "read that comfortably with the help of the amount of commentary in the 三民書局 edition". It was clear to ME that I'd never be able to read that without commentary, you obviously have too high an opinion of me to interpret it otherwise :lol:

I have a 三民書局 edition here as well, and I'd be happy to read a few passages together with you 01.gif

Give me 5 years to finish my current goal of reading 平凡的世界, and I'll join in you a Grand 莊子 Reading Challenge!

• Like 2