Chinese-Forums

"是" alone as a response

MaLaTang

I know that 是 cannot be used to answer questions where 是 isnt the main verb ...consider the following example..

你认识不认识他? acceptable response= 认识or 不认识

你是不是中国人? acceptable response= 是 or 不是

I have however, watched many mainland chinese television programs where the leader of a palace would order his or her subordinates to do something ,,for example...打扫房间! and here the response is '是‘。 so, even though it isnt a response to a question, i guess it can still be used. the same thing with 不。

so, in spoken language, or in a written dialog, if person A tells person B to...for example..给我钱!。。。

CAN person B respond with '是’ or ‘不’???

here the response is '是‘。 so, even though it isnt a response to a question, i guess it can still be used

Not really, it's only used like that by those obeying a command (which tends to happen in guzhuang shows and military settings). Think "遵命!" I wouldn't expect modern employees to say it to their boss.

so, in spoken language, or in a written dialog, if person A tells person B to...for example..给我钱!。。。

CAN person B respond with '是’ or ‘不’???

Neither. If person B said '是', he'd be implying he was subordinate to/serving person A. As xiaocai said, he could say '好(的)' to mean "I agree to do it."

If he wanted to disagree, he would probably say '不给' or '不要'.

thanks and...yes, the only setting where i came across this was in 古装 programs. In spoken language, ive most often heard 好!as a response to a command.

'OK‘ and 'OK le' are also very common and i especially heard that response when i told the 出租车 司l my destination. But now im wondering why '了’ is added to the OK? why is 了used after OK in this response?

• 2 weeks later...