Chinese-Forums

First Episode 88: 男人帮 (Men)

simplet

I dont love this show, but i find it watchable. It has some fun breaking the fourth wall momemts. In one episode, 小白 makes fun of the fact that 葛优 is a better actor than 孙红雷 and in another he calls his girlfriend 翠平.

Still watching, on episode 14 now. It has been a bit patchy so far, but there are enough amusing bits to make it worthwhile. (That, and it is pitched at just the right level of difficulty for me.) Particularly enjoyed episode 12(? - "追") recently... the moronic look on 顾小白's face when he meets his girlfriend for the (second-)first time had me laughing out loud.

Interestingly, for me at least, is that I've been putting tons of the vocab from 爱情公寓 (massive thanks to Renzhe!) in my Anki deck, and I've been pleasantly surprised that words I've just learned through that have popped up here in 男人帮.

I finally finished the whole show just before christmas and I have to say all in all I liked it a lot, it's my favourite chinese show by a good margin but I haven't really watched so many of them so far.

The least you could say about it is that it's uneven though. Actually the most characteristic thing about it I think is it's bizarre combination of brutally cynical humour and classic chinese cheesiness. On this front there's an episode in it where nice guy Luo Shu Quan starts juggling with two girlfriends out of pure cowardice that's pretty funny.

For those of you in the middle of it I actually think the show is getting better as it goes along, except for the very last episodes preparing for the terrible finale. It's so bad they had to do it over, but at least this way you're not so sad that the show is done, and the actual last episode is decent enough.

• Like 1

Interestingly, for me at least, is that I've been putting tons of the vocab from 爱情公寓 (massive thanks to Renzhe!)

I'm so happy when somebody finds these useful! Sometimes it feels like a lot of work for nothing, but posts like this make me feel very good about it all!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Does anyone else think that 潇潇's storyline in episode 28 was a bit 过分?

Yeah, that really put me off.

Shame, because the rest of the show is really funny and quite clever. One of my favourites, before they veered into odd terrain.