Chinese-Forums

HSK exam popularity / stats?

markwong

Hi Forum,

i was curious if anybody knew about general stats for the HSK - how many people take the exam each year?

i did some searching online and all i could find was very anecdotal references to individual exams, like this:

Argentina:

http://english.hanban.org/article/2010-11/18/content_198289.htm

France

http://jobs.fltacn.com/studying-in-shanghai/96-new-record-for-hsk-candidates-in-france.html

but never any real numbers for global attendance. I'm trying to convince a friend to take the test.

thanks!

Mark

Hi Mark,

I can only tell you something about the Netherlands. In 2010 there was just 1 Confucius institute in Holland, and the written HSK exam was held in june (only once per year). This was the first year of the new HSK, and about 500 people participated. In november 2010 the oral part of the new HSK was held for the 1st time, and then just about 40 people participated (for all levels in total). Alas, this year the Confucius institute has so far published nothing about the exams of june and october. But I was there in june (2010 and 2011), and I estimate the number this year was perhaps a little higher.

Regards,

Henk

Considering that the HSK takes in 20 million dollars in fees annually, they should provide a general idea.

It is required for many things in China such as college entrance. Also, every job I applied for in China(business/supply chain) strongly encouraged an HSK score.