Chinese-Forums

Syncing Anki: Mobile and Desktop

kdavid

Has anyone done this successfully? If so, can you please share how?

I'd like my iPad and desktop to share information about the decks I'm studying.

I've tried the "sync" option on the desktop client, but my online account is not reflecting any changes. My online account still displays as if I have no decks. :wall

It sounds like perhaps you are not syncing Anki on your iPad. If that is the case, simply press the button on the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Also, you can set your computer to automatically sync when Anki is turned on or turned off.

I actually haven't purchased Anki for my iPad yet precisely because I'm not getting any response from the online account--at least it doesn't appear to be syncing anything.

The iPad app is pretty expensive, and I don't want to purchase it unless I know it will do what I want it to.

jasoninchina, is that how you sync yours?

• New Members

Hi kdavid,

I have Anki on my laptop, iPhone, and iPad. They sync flawlessly together without any issues. If you are syncing the desktop client to the server and it is not properly updating then I would contact Damien directly as he is always happy to help troubleshoot any issue with the software. I can assure you that the syncing works perfectly if all the settings on the device are correctly set and when I have had trouble in the past (such as with setting up syncing of Media files, etc. on the iPad/iPhone) Damien has been more than accommodating in the troubleshooting process to get me up and running.

Believe me, once you have it working on an iPad and/or iPhone you will wonder how you ever lived without it. The cost of the App seems steep at first but when you are no longer tied to a computer or crappy web interface for flashcard study it is well worth it.

If you haven't checked the faq, here it is.

http://ankisrs.net/d...web_and_syncing

From the FAQ--

The decks on my computer are not appearing in AnkiWeb!

Please open each deck in turn, and then choose Sync from the File menu. After you explicitly enable syncing, the decks will be automatically synchronized in the future. This behaviour is confusing, so everything will be synced automatically in the next major release.

If that doesn;t get it, I'm not sure.

I agree with the above posters, contact the admin if you're having any trouble.

About pricing though, I was able to purchase it about a month ago while it was on an anniversary sale. I do believe the app is worth it, but it was still very hard for me to pay $25.

The decks on my computer are not appearing in AnkiWeb!

Please open each deck in turn, and then choose Sync from the File menu. After you explicitly enable syncing, the decks will be automatically synchronized in the future. This behaviour is confusing, so everything will be synced automatically in the next major release.

I thought I had scoured every corner of the website, but apparently not.

I've got everything up and working now. The issue was that I was syncing only from the main screen, where you can see all of the decks, and not each deck individually. It's so nice being able to do all of my studying on the bus, or waiting around for something else. Excellent software!