Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

jono1001

Is Chinese being taught in a school near you?

jono1001

Australia seems to be behind the USA and England in the teaching of Chinese in schools. I keep reading negative articles (and comments) from Australian news web sites. Here is and example Record low as students reject HSC languages

Chinese is not taught in many schools in my area. Can you tell me if it being taught in primary or secondary schools in your area / country?

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Meng Lelan

I'm in Texas, no resistance here. Chinese is being taught in a number of high schools and even a few middle schools across the state.

Ailuo

I am in Utica, NY. I work for a program where we provide Chinese instruction to local schools. There are 5 Chinese teachers and maybe 13 different school districts if I remember correctly. Right now we are teaching 6-10th grade, next year adding 11th, the year after 12th grade. That being said, the program is only open to a limited number of students in each school. For example, I am located in a middle school and there are only 6-10 Chinese students per grade. (The school only has 70 kids per graduating class though).

The program is half distance learning and half in the classroom teaching.

The only reason the program could start though is because we got a FLAP grant.

Neil_H

I am in England where it is being taught in some schools but not many. I think the closest one to me where it is being taught is a private school. I would say the percentage is small.

Princ3ssLittle

i am in the usa i cannot find a class to teach me more chinese (it is a long story why i have not learned before hand and would rather not go into it lol) but to say it should be taught in most schools

prateeksha

In Delhi, there are very few [compared to the total number of all kinds of schools - universities, colleges, schools, private institutes]. But the private tuition sector is booming.

陳德聰

In Vancouver we have Mandarin at almost all of our 18 secondary schools, and two elementary schools offering early Mandarin bilingual programs. Other nearby districts Richmond, Burnaby, and Surrey have similar if not more systematic Mandarin programs (Richmond is the first school district where a Mandarin immersion program has been proposed).

Meng Lelan
In Vancouver we have Mandarin at almost all of our 18 secondary schools, and two elementary schools offering early Mandarin bilingual programs.

Public or private schools?

In Texas we have two new Mandarin immersion elementary schools coming up this fall , both in public school districts.

陳德聰

@Meng Lelan

I was only talking about public schools, I unfortunately don't know anything about the private schools here.

SumChoi

Toronto has a big Chinese and Hong Kong population, so there are lots of night classes and Saturday school offering Chinese classes. The problem I have with some of these schools is since many of the children are from Chinese families, the classes are taught as if the children already know Chinese themselves, which is often not the case if they use English primarily.

sinobread

Czestochowa, Poland, They start teaching Chinese in local university

SumChoi

Is Chinese popular in Poland?