Chinese-Forums

Is Chinese being taught in a school near you?

jono1001

Australia seems to be behind the USA and England in the teaching of Chinese in schools. I keep reading negative articles (and comments) from Australian news web sites. Here is and example Record low as students reject HSC languages

Chinese is not taught in many schools in my area. Can you tell me if it being taught in primary or secondary schools in your area / country?

I am in Utica, NY. I work for a program where we provide Chinese instruction to local schools. There are 5 Chinese teachers and maybe 13 different school districts if I remember correctly. Right now we are teaching 6-10th grade, next year adding 11th, the year after 12th grade. That being said, the program is only open to a limited number of students in each school. For example, I am located in a middle school and there are only 6-10 Chinese students per grade. (The school only has 70 kids per graduating class though).

The program is half distance learning and half in the classroom teaching.

The only reason the program could start though is because we got a FLAP grant.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • New Members

i am in the usa i cannot find a class to teach me more chinese (it is a long story why i have not learned before hand and would rather not go into it lol) but to say it should be taught in most schools

In Vancouver we have Mandarin at almost all of our 18 secondary schools, and two elementary schools offering early Mandarin bilingual programs. Other nearby districts Richmond, Burnaby, and Surrey have similar if not more systematic Mandarin programs (Richmond is the first school district where a Mandarin immersion program has been proposed).

In Vancouver we have Mandarin at almost all of our 18 secondary schools, and two elementary schools offering early Mandarin bilingual programs.

Public or private schools?

In Texas we have two new Mandarin immersion elementary schools coming up this fall , both in public school districts.

Toronto has a big Chinese and Hong Kong population, so there are lots of night classes and Saturday school offering Chinese classes. The problem I have with some of these schools is since many of the children are from Chinese families, the classes are taught as if the children already know Chinese themselves, which is often not the case if they use English primarily.