Chinese-Forums

Approximate travel-times of Beijing Capital Airport Shuttle Bus

crouchingdragon

I would like to learn what travel-duration one might expect when taking the Beijing Capital Airport Shuttle Bus. Specifically, I am looking to take Shuttle Bus Line #7 to the listed Guang'anmen stop (below). I realize the chances of someone knowing that specific time information is nil but perhaps someone can share their travel time experience elsewhere, as a benchmark.

I find the on-line bus routes but no travel-times are listed. I surmise that travel-time can vary depending on rush hour traffic and so forth.

Generally can one consider airport shuttle bus a very slow way of travel or similar to the amount of time a taxi takes ?

2) 广安门外(桥西路北500米)< don't know this exact location,

Thank you,

That's a tough one - it's basically the other side of the city. The airport bus looks like it comes down the east side of the 4th ring road, which should be relatively quick, and then cuts across the south of the city - no idea how long that's going to take. This post reckons 60-70 minutes to Beijing West Station (which is only one more stop on that line), although that sounds a little quick to me.

The airport bus isn't necessarily that much slower than a taxi - they don't make that many stops, and they stick to the faster roads. Do you actually have a certain time you need to be there, or are you just wanting to make a time vs money decision? Do you have too much luggage to consider the subway?

Roddy,

Thanks for your info.

You correctly assumed that I am concerned carrying two, 50# luggage bags on the 北京机场轨道交通线 (¥25) then transferring(¥2) at 东直门 (20-min trip) to subway #2 and traveling on to Changchun Jie 地铁站, which is still a distance from my final destination. While the Lt. Train may be amenable to having luggage, not sure subway #2 is ? And will I look foolish ?

I have had no experience other than being picked-up at the airport by a friend in their car. It is a great imposition. It is past time that I made my own way. In addition, there is some good old-fashion fun in trying something anew.

I surmise that the Capital Airport Shuttle Bus has luggage storage underneath the sitting area. My final destination is on Guang'anmen Lu and it would help to know exactly where 广安门外(桥西路北500米) is.

While it is great to sight-see on the way in from the airport, after 24-hours of travel, I rather not have it take more than one-hour to get to my destination with a shower.

I welcome any other tidbits of info on this matter. As a benchmark, any guess to what a Taxi cab would charge me from Terminal #3 to Guang'anmen Lu ?

Thanks

For comparison, a taxi will cost about RMB 100 to get from terminal 3 to the main Beijing Station - make sure you take it from the taxi line, and not from anyone approaching you asking if you need a taxi.

I'm not sure how much extra it would cost to get to Guang'anmen but I wouldn't expect it to be too much more, and if you're carrying luggage this would be my recommended option.

Carrying that much luggage on the subway (including the airport express) will be a hassle simply because of all the steps you'll have to carry it up.

• Like 1

Could you double check that location? I can't see a 广安门路, but there's a 广安路 and various 广安门街s.

Sounds like the subway is best avoided, and to be honest getting on the bus, getting off the bus, then still having to get to where you're actually going - I'd taxi it.

广安门外(桥西路北500米) will be with reference to 广安门桥, so it's five hundred meters to the west of the bridge (ie, the big junction), on the north side of the road.

Roddy,

I have searching online for a detailed Capital Airport Shuttle Bus route-map with the stops clearly marked to no avail. Such a map with approximate trip-times would be invaluable for many of us.

If the Guang'anmenwai stop is a block up to two blocks maximum within my destination, then this is the best option for me. I assume one gets on the Shuttle Buses curbside (no stairs to climb).

From the online-photo of the Airport Shuttle Bus they look comfortable if that is a representative photo.

....... Caishi Kou 8th stop. This stop is clearly known. Guanganmenwai 9th stop . -- 菜市口(路口西侧路北100米) -- 广安门外(桥西路北500米)

Any additional comments or info would be appreciated.

Thanks

The shuttle bus is normally my preferred mode of transport to and from the airport if the following conditions can be met:

1) The bus stop is only a couple of hundred metres from my final destination or point of departure.

2) I'm not carrying too much luggage (20-30kg max, including main bag and carry-on).

3) It's not really late at night, or really early morning (i.e. pre-dawn).

Otherwise, for me, the extra I pay in taxi fare is more than worth the hassle and trouble saved if any one of those conditions aren't met.

Caishi Kou 8th stop. This stop is clearly known. Guanganmenwai 9th stop

Also worth noting, if you're not getting off at the terminus of the shuttle bus, you're going to find it a hassle getting your luggage on and off.

I've used the shuttle bus services, the new subway and taxis.

The most convenient is definitely a taxi from the airport to exactly the place you want to go to. I would always suggest you have your destination written down (in Chinese), because as the taxi drivers are quickly trying to get out of the airport, they don't want to have to deal with misunderstanding your Chinese, or the fact you're asking them to go somewhere a bit unusual. I think the taxi fare, as something added to the price of your flight, is very reasonable. Beijing taxis are still very competitive and the system of queuing for the taxis always seems very well organised at the airport. Even at peak times the time you wait isn't bad.

The airport subway line to Dongzhimen is good - even with large cases. But getting on other subway lines at the Dongzhimen interchange station is a real hassle if you have luggage - large or small. Not something I would recommend to almost anyone. Also, it's not a very good spot to come to the surface and get a taxi - it involves too much hassle with large luggage.

The shuttle bus is good if it takes you very close to your destination. I would allow at least an hour as far as the central area of the city, and it can be almost as long again if you're going to the far side of the city. Timing depends completely on the time of day. If you get off at the route terminus, there always seem to be taxis waiting to take people on to their final destination. I've got off part-way along a route and never had to wait long for a taxi. But if you get off before the terminus you need to check about where to put your luggage - they usually want you to have it inside the bus - they won't stop to get it out of the storage area under the bus. Also, some of those stops along the route are in the central carriageways of the ring roads, so once you're out of the bus, you have to go up steps to the overhead pedestrian walkway, and then down steps to the side of the road where you then need to walk to a taxi-stopping place - taxis won't now stop anywhere along the side lanes of the fast roads (usually).

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
3) It's not really late at night, or really early morning (i.e. pre-dawn).
If I want to catch a taxi to the airport at say, 5 AM - is that possible? Are there cabs waiting around at that hour?

Or would I have to make an appointment for one in advance?

I would think that in a capital city like Beijing, one can book a taxi departing at specific time and place, if one worries about the availability of taxis.I could do that in Taiyuan and Shanghai, and find it hard to imagine if it is not feasible in Beijing.

@deezy - It depends where you are. In years past I would have have said definitely yes, because taxis were everywhere. But last year when I visited Beijing it was notoriously difficult to hail a taxi in some places. If your hotel is near a major transport hub (eg train station) you shouldn't have an issue. For smaller or more remote hotels you should be able to get the front desk make sure there is a taxi ready early in the morning if need be.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, turns out that although the airport shuttles are officially supposed to stop running by midnight, sometimes they still run past that. Now, I wouldn't count on that happening, but sometimes you may be pleasantly surprised.

And, I think the shuttle bus is almost as convenient as a taxi - as there is usually sufficient room for your luggage.

The subway is also great too - but as post #9 said - if you have to change lines past Dongzhimen with luggage in tow - that could be a real pain trying to squeeze your way through the crowds (especially around morning or evening rush hours).

So, if you'd still prefer to take a taxi - they are fortunately still available basically around-the-clock near the major subway stations, at least. There are taxis there that will run late at night into the wee hours and then others that will start up at 3 AM. But of course, they will cost you about 80 RMB to travel the same distance as the subway to Dongzhimen. And as imron said, I don't know about the less-frequented areas of town?

And I'd count on the taxi or shuttle to take about 45 minutes with no traffic - and probably an hour or more with...

PS - Another tip when returning to the airport is to figure out which terminal (háng 行) you are flying out of, if possible. The taxi driver would want to know that. But, keep in mind that ~80% of international flights fly out of Terminal 3 (out of 3) - in case you don't know and must hazard a guess.. :conf

that could be a real pain trying to squeeze your way through the crowds

It's not just the crowds, it's the fact that the airport express is actually on a separate line and there is a lot of stairs and walking just to get out. Then once you do get out, the location you are in is difficult to get a taxi (it's on the corner of a busy intersection and taxis don't like to stop there), so it's more walking again (over uneven and bumpy pavement) to get to a smaller street where you have a better chance of getting a taxi, or braving crowds to take the actual Metro.

• Like 1