Chinese-Forums

Work Rules on Student Visa

hht

Is it possible? I mean legally, if I ask local authorities and my university etc.

Also if not. Can I do work but just do it for free. Hear me out, i am studying so my main aim is chinese but also to keep my hand in with my special skills.

So if me having the job is denying a chinese person the money, is that still the case if I do it fro free?

I am not looking for people to say 'you probably wont get caught'. I want to know and please provide official links as I cant find any, that say clearly what I can and cannot do on a student visa.

thanks

You can't do it and be completely legal. There was an internship topic recently where a link saying you can intern on a student visa was turned up, but I maintain that only works if your student visa comes from the people you're doing the internship for, or it's a university-organized internship or something - even if you could work on a student visa, the employer still needs to go through formalities to be allowed to employ you, and they're not going to be able to do that for anyone on a student visa.

That said, you probably won't get caught ;-)

No company in China can hire you with a student visa, whether it's a paid position or not. On the other hand, I'm sure you could find plenty of business that would let you work for them without proper documentation, especially if you're working for free. It can actually be somewhat difficult to get a job in China, especially if its not teaching English, so there's really no way they'd ever let you do it without a z visa.

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/

• 7 months later...
if I work/intern for the university where I got my student visa that would be legal?

The only definative answer is no one's really sure. I think the point Roddy was making was that if the internship was part of your course and organised by your school it would probably be ok.

Having said that, I suspect a university (as opposed to a small company or private school) is unlikely to do anything they can't deal with the consequences of.