Chinese-Forums

Chinese Myths and Legends

amyj

I'm currently studying Chinese at university and I was wondering whether you guys know any of the ancient Chinese myths and legends, ghosts and monsters, gods and demons ... that sort of thing. It's what I'd like to do my first year culture essay on but I don't really know where to start, particularly with references etc. Also what are your favourite stories from Chinese legend, any ones that particularly fascinate you?

I never heard your story before. could you tell me where is it from?

her creating earth story is kind of similar to bible, no offence. she created animals and others at first six days and used mud to make model of human and gave them lives. she also created marriage rules. besides Nuwa Mending the Sky is a famous myth story.

hahaha I'm not christian, the beauty of being agnostic is that you can hear stories from all over the world and not be offended by a single one :) as for the story I know, it's one of the stories from the Feng Shen Bang (the collection of stories not the tv show), it wasn't written until the ming dynasty so it won't be as old as the stories you know. I've heard of Nuwa mending the sky now you mention it, was that something to do with a great disaster?