Chinese-Forums

using of 的 in this sentence

maybe

I would to say "I'm an italian student that studying chinese in university of milan"

I try using 的

我是个在米兰大学学习汉语的意大利学生。

do you think it's good or sounds crap?

ps. my friend suggest me use 名, he think it's better than 个, you think?

@abcdefg: when can I use 名?

I never use 名 as a measure word/classifier, although I see from consulting the dictionary that it is possible. As for your example above, I use 个 for ordinary people and it is what I think fits here when referring to oneself. If I'm trying to be polite and deferential when talking about someone else, I would use 位,as in "二位老师"。

Disclaimer: My level is somewhere between elementary and intermediate, and someone else may be able to give you a better answer to your question.

名 is a polite classifier, so you can use it to refer to other people (generally by their occupations or roles). I wouldn't use it to refer to myself, though I'm not definite on this point. Things like 他是一名教授 or 三名囚犯 are perfectly fine, though.

I concur with all the above comments, but I'm surprised no one has pointed out that the original English sentence is grammatically incorrect. It should be ""I'm an Italian student studying Chinese in the University of Milan"" not ""I'm an italian student that studying chinese in university of milan".

• 2 weeks later...