Chinese-Forums

new visa application form

panda23

Not sure if this applies to other countries, but for Canada they have come up with a new form for visa applications and its definitely a lot more thorough than the old one. For example, its no longer enough to just say which cities/provinces you're going to, now the address and phone number of where you'll be staying are required. There are now 3 places for contact person's info, one for a company in China, one for a friend/relative, and one for emergency situations. In addition, they now require you to list info about your family members, such as names and occupations, whether they're coming with you on your trip or not. Also, if you've been to China before, they now want to know when, where and why you went, rather than just that you went. Same goes for any other countries you may have visited in the past year.

Finally, in the "explain if you say 'yes'" section, in with the questions about infectious diseases, they've removed the old questions about whether you've ever been denied a visa or been deported or refused entry, and replaced it with one asking if you've ever overstayed your visa. Given the placement of this question, I get the impression the authoriites are clamping down hard on this, as it now seems doing it even once no matter for how long would result in you being denied any more visas. So anyone thinking of teaching ESL in China might want to be absolutely sure they aren't signing up with a school that might try to cancel their visa/residence permit without their knowledge, because you might not get a second chance anymore.

• Like 1

Took a look at the visa application for USA citizens as well, and it is also changed. It seems to now ask all the same questions as in the OP. In addition, it asks about overstaying visa, refused visa, criminal record, and disease.

Also, under current occupation (1.13), one selection is "housewife" -- no entry for "house husband" however.

I filled in one of those new forms (embassy in Switzerland) for my trip to Beijing a few weeks ago. I just left most of the form blank - still got my visa. For example, I ticked "yes" in the "Have you been to China before?" box but didn't bother giving any details.

Another question that came to mind, since you now have to provide contact info for where you'll be staying, does this mean that one can no longer do "flexible" trips to China, whereby you book accommodations for, say, the first week, then decide later how to spend the rest of your vacation? In other words, the embassy now has the means to check that you really do have somewhere to stay for whatever number of days you say you're planning to spend in China.

since you now have to provide contact info for where you'll be staying, does this mean that one can no longer do "flexible" trips to China

You don't need to provide any evidence though, unlike in the olympics period. Somehow I don't think they will be checking if you really do stay at some random hotel you found on the internet, which you were introduced to by 'Mr Zhang', manager at the same.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Yes, in the US, the consulate has adopted new application forms since last June. It is longer, six pages, and more questions and options over the old version. If you are note a U.S. citizen, you are asked to submit supplementary forms as well.

US citizen here, filled out one in Spain last May that already reflected the OPs noted changes. I provided sparse details regarding my itinerary and address upon arrival (wrote a friends name and phone number), still received a 1 year tourist visa. I think the post above is correct - stricter form that will be enforced to varying degrees, mostly depending on your country of citizenship.

• 1 month later...

Don't like the look of this new form -- I overstayed on a teaching visa in 2002 (was rather naive about expecting a school to sort me out with a new visa, during which time the previous one expired). Then I left China although have been back since several times with no problem. But previous forms never asked about overstaying. Still, hopefully it's not going to be a problem....

Yes! I printed out the application form this morning, then found this thread. Will be in Hong Kong for a few days in May and would like to pop up onto the mainland for a few days while I'm there. But clearly that depends on the visa office of the London consulate .... I will hand in my visa application next week.

Also am surprised, as mentioned by others in this thread, about how much info they want about invitations and so on: no-one's inviting me!

It would be pretty rough of them to deny me a visa this time. Of more concern would be during stressed periods like the Bejing Olympics (okay, those won't be taking palce again for a while I hope) if they just apply some blanket ramping-up of visa-strictness.

Yes that's a worry too -- flights are booked but probably won't be staying in a hotel ... if I do I will not be booking it now.

Still, I've found the London visa office very efficient in the past: I get the feeling they know what is required in practice rather than in theory. If when I hand over my application they tell me it's vital that I have the hotel info, I'll have to go away and book something and make another appointment.

Update: handed in my application today. I had to write a statement on a blank sheet of paper to explain why I'd overstayed back in 2002. And another statement on another sheet of paper to give address & dates of where I'd be staying in China. Will find out if I get the visa next week and report back here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got the visa successfully.

To add to my previous post: I'm flying to HK first, then walking across the border. But when I handed in the application they still wanted a printout of my flight from London to HK, which they attached to the application. The person behind the counter also wanted me to write down (and sign next to the annotation) how I was going to enter the mainland, and that it would be "more convincing" if I wrote that I would take the train across, so that's what I put. The people in the London visa office are not (I believe) consular officials, but they obviously know what the people who actually make the decisions on visas are looking for. I've always found them very helpful. I have no idea if my earlier visa overstay was the reason for them being extra careful with my application this time, or if it would have been exactly the same regardless.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
They're now requiring booked flights and hotel. Well, printouts showing either that you've booked those or know how to edit html before printing *cough*

For reference a friend of mine has just got a tourist visa without booked accommodation - he would have been able to give the address of a contact in China (but who couldn't, it's not like they check).

• Like 1