Chinese-Forums

Character Recognition and Handwriting Tablets

davesgonechina

I bought a USB drawing tablet for my PC here in China, and it comes with character recognition software - you write the character on the tablet, it identifies it and pastes it into Word. But it's spitting out gibberish when I write. I have the IME language support installed, but I think the problem is my version of windows in English (the start button and menus and stuff). Anybody else ever used one of these things? Otherwise it's really cool and I recommend it - forget the keyboard.

I have one. Very useful, especially for looking up words you don't know in electronic dictionaries.

I had similar issues with an English version of Windows and ended up just installing a Chinese version. Easy enough to find if you're in China, right? If you can, get the Shanghai VLK edition, as it is a truly automatic install and patches you up through SP2.

dude, perjp, that totally worked. I kinda assumed "non-unicode" would be useless. You rock.

Now I can use the tablet to write and the DLTools freeware dictionary with wordpad. Since the pad uses the clipboard to paste the characters and DLTools automatically translates anything in the clipboard, I've got an instant writing dictionary like Trevelyan mentioned.

This is the best Christmas present I ever bought myself. I think I might go throw in a relevant reply to that QWERTY thread.

• 1 year later...

大家好,

I am planning on buying a handwriting tablet to force me to rely less on 拼音. I'm aware of the IME Pad, and I am able to access the menu. However, when I go to the menu, there is no place that allows me to write. I have menus of all the 画 and 部首, however.

I am wondering... once I get the tablet and install it, will the necessary menus appear? What I'm afraid of is buying the tablet and still not being able to view the appropriate menus.

非常感谢大家!:mrgreen:

• 3 months later...

That is true, at least in 10.4 and earlier, Mac OS X does not recognise anything other than English, German, and French handwriting. I hope 10.5 includes improvements to Chinese input and the addition of handwriting recognition.

If your friend has a relatively recent Wacom tablet, you probably just need to install the driver on OS X to use it:

http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/download.cfm?id=165&product=XD