Chinese-Forums

British / US English differences

richwarm

According to the esteemed Steven Pinker, in his book The Language Instinct:

"I could care less" is irony (or sarcasm), whereas "I couldn't care less" is literal. Therefore the meanings are the same, just as "Oh great!" can mean you are happy at the news you just received, or with a different intonation that you are not happy at all.

I think that was certainly the case when the expression "I could care less" first appeared. Since then it seems to have become relatively standard among a certain group of people, particularly in the US.

"I could care less" is irony (or sarcasm), whereas "I couldn't care less" is literal. Therefore the meanings are the same, just as "Oh great!" can mean you are happy at the news you just received, or with a different intonation that you are not happy at all.

Yeah, I've heard this explanation before a few times. If it really were sarcasm, it would be said in a sarcastic tone, rather than the automatic way it's said the (few) times I've heard it. I think it's just become a fixed expression that many people don't think about now.

I find 好容易 weird, although I know it's considered correct. We always say 好不容易 here.