Chinese-Forums

Mandarin Training Center, National Taiwan Normal University

OneEye

Hi,

For anyone studying at the MTC at NTNM: have you needed to a computer specifically to support your class work and/or homework? I am enrolling in the fall of 2012, and I'm considering taking just my 3G iPad, along with a bluetooth keboard (such as a Zagg Portfolio). The things that can't be done from the iPad are:

• Print to a printer (unless it supports AirPrint).
  • View Flash content or potentially some other specialized web content.
  • Listen to (i.e., an audio CD accompanying a textbook, etc.)

I like the idea of traveling light to Taiwan. With a wireless keyboard, there's a lot that can be done with the iPad. I'm intersted to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

There is a computer lab on the 6th floor, and maybe on other floors (I don't use them except to print stuff). You can do all of that from there is you want. There are also two listening labs too. Personally, I couldn't possibly imagine moving here without my laptop, but to each his own. Then again, I don't own an iPad either.

Hi,

This might not be the appropriate thread (mods, feel free to move this post), but it'd be great to know who is currently attending MTU or who will be starting this autumn.

• OneEye: currently attending
  • Robotea: fall 2012
  • etm001: fall 2012

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

OneEye~

I just got to Taipei a couple days ago just finished registration from MTC today. I had a question about classes. So I only learned in class how to write in simplified characters (not standard). I can read standard, which is how I've been able to get by these last couple days, but I was wondering, do I need to teach myself standard within these next 7 days (class starts July 2nd). I'm kinda freaking out because that's like A LOT to try and relearn. Will teachers at MTC accept simplified?

If I were you, I'd start learning how to write the traditional characters now. It's not too hard to adapt, though of course there will likely be some characters that give you problems. The teachers at MTC know, of course, that most people who have studied Chinese anywhere else in the world will probably have learned simplified characters. They're pretty understanding about that, but they'll also encourage you to adapt to the "correct" characters (正體字 as my first term teacher called them) as quickly as you can. And by encourage, I mean they'll start deducting points from your 聽寫 tests. :mrgreen: That's not a big deal though, and I have known of people who told their teachers that they wanted to stick with simplified since they will only be here a short time. Some teachers are completely cool with that, some aren't.

Don't waste your 端午節 weekend worrying about it though. Go see the dragon boat races and eat some 粽子!

Meng Lelan,

What I meant when I talked about grad students here in the summer was that I thought they might come here for the summer to brush up or improve their language skills, not that they're actually taking graduate courses (as in, for graduate credit). MTC only teaches non-credit language courses, and whether the credit for those courses will actually transfer or not is up to your university.

kimmieting,

Post #45 in this thread has a short list of those of us who have said we'll be at MTC this fall. When you're looking for a place, make sure to check the bulletin board on the 7th floor at MTC, as there are always a lot of ads up for apartments.

MTC only teaches non-credit language courses, and whether the credit for those courses will actually transfer or not is up to your university.

So are you planning to take graduate level courses in Taiwan or in the US eventually?

Yeap i know about the bulletin board...but i will b in taipei next month for holiday for a few days..and i thought of looking for a place during this trip. But its kinda abit of a rush if i have to go look at the board and make appointments last minute :( do theu rent out for only 3 months?

So are you planning to take graduate level courses in Taiwan or in the US eventually?

The plan is to do another year at MTC, then my MA here in Taiwan, and then return to the US for my PhD.

kimmie,

There is another recent thread here with some helpful info, though perhaps you've already seen it. As far as whether they'll rent to you for only 3 months, that's going to depend on the individual landlord. I would imagine that if they're advertising at MTC they may be more willing to do shorter lease terms (a lot of people only stay for one term).

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd put this here rather than starting a new thread. I'd like to extend an open invitation to anyone coming to Taipei this fall who is interested in joining our Classical Chinese study group. We meet once per week near the MTC and have read some really interesting stuff so far (for instance, a call to overthrow the empress, a letter from Zhuge Liang, and recently a zombie/ghost story). If you've never studied Classical Chinese before, don't worry. We had all levels over the summer and it worked out really well. If there's interest, I plan on holding a short session before the main meeting each week, during which we'll go over the basics of Classical Chinese grammar in an informal setting (there's good beer, too).

Anyway, if you're interested, send me a PM. If you want to take a look at what we've been doing with the group, you can check out the Grand 文言文 Reading Project here at Chinese-forums.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I would say my teacher spoke in Mandarin 98% of the class, and in English for the other 2% it's really for the best - what better way to learn, no?

I agree. The first year Chinese classes at the Middlebury Summer Chinese School are conducted exactly like that and the results are impressive. Hopefully next summer or summer after next I can take class at MTC (or something similar).

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Thanks for the informative thread.

Is hanyu pinyin used at all in the curriculum? I'm from Malaysia and am thinking of going to MTC for a semester or two next year. All the (minimal) mandarin I've learned has been in simplified characters and hanyu pinyin. I'm not familiar with bopomofo, and am wondering if I should pick this up before going?

Also, would any of you happen to have Malaysians classmates?

I have a few local/visa related questions, and it would be great if I could ask someone with prior experience.