Chinese-Forums

天與地 When Heaven Burns

skylee

People (my family included) seem to think that this TV series is good. I don't really trust my family's taste, but last night I saw on TV an ad of this series featuring 陳豪, and I think I will watch it. :D

If you like, join me.

It is in Cantonese.

Here are some links -

http://so.tv.sohu.com/mts?wd=%CC%EC%C5c%B5%D8&box=1

http://www.nathk.com/2011/11/when-heaven-burns.html

• Like 1

I think it depends. Things can get better or get worse. Someone told me today that the first few episodes of this show are a bit slow (I watched the first one last night, it was quite well made, but yes a bit slow) but it has been getting better.

And 30 episodes are hardly that long, when you compare it to some Korean / China TV dramas.

• 2 weeks later...

I have watched this show up to episode 20, I think, and then stopped due to various reasons. It was reported in today's newspapers that this show has been banned in the Mainland -> Hong Kong drama series banned on the mainland

This is a somewhat peculiar TV show. People who like it mainly watch it on the internet (like me), and then discuss it on the internet. People who watch it on TV tend to hate it (thus very poor ratings).

Having watched the last episodes, people now have a better idea why this drama series has been banned on the Mainland. Here is one of the lines in the last episode (the leading female character speaks on the radio about a voluntary gathering of people at the venue of an aborted rockfest) -

今晚在這裏,我呼籲警方、外面的市民、所有傳媒,不需要恐懼我們的聚集,因為在這裏,每一個追求和支持獨立音樂的人,他們都代表着每一種獨立和自主的做人方法,這些並不是不和諧的表現,和諧不是一百個人說同一句話,和諧是一百個人,有一百句不同話之餘,而又互相尊重。

And then there was the closing song, which did not appear in full till the second last episode. The song starts with -

年少多好 頑劣多好

不甘安於封建制度裏 迷信上街真理會達到

旗幟高舉 群眾聲討

不惜犧牲一切去上訴 權貴的想法太俗套

只可惜生活是一堆挫折 只可惜生命是必須妥協

Things can get better or get worse. Someone told me today that the first few episodes of this show are a bit slow (I watched the first one last night, it was quite well made, but yes a bit slow) but it has been getting better.

Did it continue getting better, or just more controversial?

• 3 months later...