Chinese-Forums

The Blue Dragon

feihong

I just finished reading a graphic novel called The Blue Dragon. I mention this here because the book is set in China and there is a decent amount of (simplified) Chinese dialogue in it (with English translations printed below). The level of the Chinese is fairly simple, since the authors are not Chinese and they didn't hire a translator who specializes in literary works. The book is fairly short at 176 pages, with quite a few wordless pages.

post-38695-0-31301100-1323576370_thumb.jpg post-38695-0-81396300-1323576376_thumb.jpg post-38695-0-49429500-1323576383_thumb.jpg post-38695-0-02645700-1323576691_thumb.jpg

What are my overally impressions? I liked it, although I felt the last chapter was quite weak. This comic is actually an adaptation of a French Canadian play called Le Dragon bleu, and what I read was the English translation. But really, the main draw of this comic is the lush, evocative art by Fred Jourdain.

I borrowed the book from my local library, maybe you'll find it there too?

• Like 1