Chinese-Forums

Why do I get disconnected every day between 6:30pm and 8:30pm?

Kenny同志

My old modem went wrong every day between 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm and then I couldn’t access the Internet for the whole night. I suspected the old modem might be broken, so I bought a new one, but things don’t change.

I have no problem accessing the Internet in the daytime.

So what’s wrong? How can I solve this problem?

I’ve been very upset these days because I have to use corpora, various online dictionaries and Google when I work.

I’d be obliged if someone could help me out.

Is the modem connected to things like a telephone line? If yes, is it possible that such connections are linked to other remote systems in some switch rooms, and that the electricity for those other systems get turned off / suspended during that period of time everyday?

is it connected to a phone line? if so does the phone still work? It seems like a strange thing to happen. When you say it goes wrong between 6:30 and 8:30 but then still no internet does this mean it the modem works after 8:30 but you are not connected? Have you tried rebooting and restarting of the the PC and modem after 8;30? Are the settings for your PC correct. Does it just start working in the morning or is it because you have turned off and left it over night and then turned on and it all works? Have you left it on all night and tried to connect every so often to see exactly when it starts working again.

it could be that you get thrown off at these times because your ISP gets busy and won't let you reconnect for one hour. is it dial up or broadband?

There are many things that could cause this. Any more info would help

Shelley

Thanks everybody.

My modem is connected to a telephone line but when I can’t access the Internet, my phone (landline) still works fine. I don’t think they cut the electricity during that period of time every day as that would affect a lot of users.

After 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm every day, the ADSL light would keep flashing for almost the whole night (at least till around 11:00 pm when I go to sleep) and even when it keeps on for a few seconds or a minute or two, I still can’t connect to the Internet. I tried to reboot my computer to see whether this could solve this problem, but the result was the same. I think my settings are correct as I haven’t changed any since I bought this computer and the connection was pretty fine in the last few months.

I am using broadband.

After 8:30 pm, I can’t connect to the Internet at all and the connection doesn’t come back till around 7:30 am next morning, but during 6:30 to 8:30, I can still access the Internet though disconnection during this period of time becomes frequent, once about every three to five minutes.

I am probably the only person in Changde here.

You should contact your ISP again. Call them at 6:30 and see if they can figure it out.

Edit: I don't know if your problem is similar to mine but whenever I get disconnected I call them and ask them to reset my connection. It has always worked for me.

The problem has been fixed.

The modem became dysfunctional after we joined a new telephone line to the old one in our old house. In the past two weeks or so, I could access the Internet during the daytime in our old house, but I couldn’t in the evening. I couldn’t access the Internet in our new house in the daytime or in the evening.

The technician from China Telecom came this morning and I told him what I said above. He believed that the new line branched off from the old one made the signal too weak in the evening for me to connect to the Internet because information exchange tended to be higher then.

We replaced the old, iron line with a new copper line. Everything seems pretty fine so far – I can access the Internet from our new house now, with a higher speed. I am sure I can still post on Chinese Forums in the evening.

• Like 1

I didn’t buy the new modem from them; I bought it from the place where I bought my laptop.

I think I will keep the new one because it’s smaller and looks better.

By the way, the salesgirl was very nice and we’re good friends now. I ordered two yoga books from Amazon for her, along with my 现代汉语词典, the fifth edition.