Chinese-Forums

about 空房子

azzurra87

Dear friends, I would need the help of some chinese native speaker to understand the meaning of some sentences... I'm translating some texts for my graduation (I'm italian, and I'm studying chinese and english) and I really have some problems with some parts of these texts.

Today the problem is about 房子, because as you know in english it can be both ROOM and HOUSE.

In this text, the main character, Siye, has 2 房子, but I really can't understand if he has 2 HOUSES (he lives in 1 house, the other house is empty) or if he has a house with 2 ROOMS (he lives in 1 room, and other room is empty).

Here below I'm reporting the original text.

I would be really very grateful and even help you with problems with english or italian language if you need!

Thanks a lot for your help :help !!

四爷的家是市中心那一片属于要拆迁的平房中的一栋独屋 (which kind of house is this?),共两间正房。(2 rooms or 2 houses?)

是货真价实的青砖瓦屋。房子是横排的,两间都朝南,后面是厨房杂屋,四爷住一间,另一间就空着。

• New Members

I don't think there are two apartments, but just two rooms. It's a one traditional floor house with two rooms and one kitchen. Both of the rooms are opened toward to South direction, which makes it cool in summer and warm in winter. and behind the two rooms there is a kitchen(or call it store room). I am pretty sure about it.

• Like 1

I have recently been hunting for a place to live in Kunming. When real estate agents 中介 here say 一套空房子 they mean an apartment that is not furnished, not one that is unoccupied. Since I am looking for one that already has furniture 家具 and electric appliances 家电, I avoid visiting places that are empty and only have bare walls.

• Like 1