Chinese-Forums

裡有的

Thomill

Hello,

I am having some difficulty with this sentence from Rosetta Stone Level 2.4.2.

這些人裡有的在彈吉他。

I have not seen the 裡有的 construct before. I know the meaning of the individual elements, but do not see how they are used in this context.

Thank you.

I don't think that "li youde" is a proper constituent. The parsing should be more like: zhe(i)xie ren li (topic) / youde (quantifier) / zai tan jita (verb phrase with aspect), "(Among these people) some of them are playing the guitar". (Edit: Skylee beat me to it!).

Not being funny, but you can't really say you know much about the meanings of the individual items when you seem unaware of how they are functioning in such basic contexts, Thomill. (If Rosetta Stone isn't providing and/or isn't going to provide you with the necessary grammar or range of examples, you might need to consider getting a better - better-value, more thorough - course, or at least a halfway-decent grammar reference book; then, a good dictionary is often just as helpful. Please do ask if you'd like some recommendations!).

• Like 1

Sure, Thomill, these forums are very useful, and I hope you will continue to get a lot out of them. And like I say, it wasn't my intention to sound too critical - I appreciate you're learning - but rather to get more of an idea of the utility of the Rosetta Stone courseware. (My gut feeling is that it is probably not that good value for money ultimately, but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts).