Chinese-Forums

Do some verbs take a measure word?

MaLaTang

As far as i know, only nouns take a measure word. for ex. 一辆车, 两位人, etc.

However, I do, on occasion, come across some definitions for verbs in CEDICT that include measure words..

consider the following.. xiāo fèi to consume; CL:

suàn to count; to calculate; to compute; CL: tǎo lùn

to discuss; to talk over; CL:

has the dictionary made a mistake? are each of these dictionary entries missing a noun meaning...for ex...does tao lun also mean 'discussion' instead of just 'to discuss'? is it ok to use the measure word with a verb...一个计算。。。

The way I remember second semester Chinese, we encountered one (1) case of a verb classifier, and our teacher said it was a rare case.

On the Internet, I found the publication name Origination and Development of the Verb-measure Word “和”. I take it to a mean measure word for verbs, and not a measure word for nouns that is a verb. In one paper, I find the footnote "The uncommon cases of [measure words for] verbs are not considered."

So, it seems that there really are some measure words for verbs.

It would help if we had an example sentence, but I'll take a stab. This may or may not be what you're talking about.

Some verbs have measure words. They generally refer to times of doing the verb, as opposed to noun measure words that count number of nouns. So you have 我被爸爸罵了一頓. I was scolded by dad once (not "once upon a time", but something like a round of scolding). Or 我在公園裡走了一趟(tàng, not tāng). I took a stroll in the park. The verb measure word seems to function as a noun, I guess, but I don't really know the rules or explanation behind it. It also isn't specific as to how long the action took place, but rather refers to the happening of the action from beginning to end. So a 頓 of being scolded can be 5 minutes or two hours, I guess depending on who's doing the scolding. :mrgreen:

• Like 1

From Aspect in Mandarin Chinese - A corpus-based study (found by rummaging briefly through Google Books):

A verbal classifier phrase is similar to a nominal classifier... The two differ in that a verbal classifier phrase refers to the count of actions while a nominal classifier refers to the number of an object

At another point in this book, this concept is equated to "temporal quantifier". But there are specificities to some of the verbs and their "temporal quantifiers": this paper gives some evidence of them in Cantonese and Thai.

I just see them all as just a type of verbal complement though.

The opening post doesn't really refer to this (I would consider that to be more like the classifier for a derived noun made from an instance of the verb), but the two are connected, I suppose.