Chinese-Forums

How to properly translate “Enjoy (Drinks) Responsibly” into Chinese

Mark Yong

Recently, I spotted a beer advertisement in a coffee-shop in downtown Kuala Lumpur. The bi-lingual phrase at the bottom of the poster reads:

『Enjoy Responsibly 更具責任地享用啤酒』

I was wondering if there is (or already exists) a better and more elegant way to translate the English phrase into Chinese, and one that accurately captures the meaning and seriousness of the message - rather than a literal translation from English (an example of what Hong Kong author 陳雲 refers to as 『洋化中文』).

The best that I could come up with was 『飲酒忌贅』.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Please note that 贅 is not a very commonly used word, and you don't want to use words that some people might not understand in a public notice.

As to alternatives, you may consider the simple 切勿酗酒. Or something like 豪飲凶險大,淺酌樂趣多etc.

PS - or 豪飲無益,淺酌怡情 etc. :)

• Like 1

skylee wrote:

豪飲凶險大,淺酌樂趣多

豪飲無益,淺酌怡情

xiaocai wrote:

饮酒适度,宜己宜人。

Sheer poetry, folks. Absolutely elegant. Thank you.

『切勿酗酒』 is great, too. But I would shy away from it, as it seems much more strict, like a prohibition (禁令), rather than an admonishment/exhortation (勸誡) like the above examples and in relation to the English version.

Hi, xiaocai,

Thanks. Maybe not so much “plain” per se, but more like “concise” and “compact” - in the spirit of the Chinese language. But my primary objective is to try and move away from literal translations from English that end up sounding totally awkward and out-of-context in Chinese - 鳥瞰 for “bird’s eye view” instead of 遠景 / 概觀 (depending on context) comes to mind.