Chinese-Forums

Renting an Apartment

mwsteele89

Hey everyone.

My Chinese friend is currently looking around Beijing for an apartment for me. I don't mind a small place or anything like that, but location is most important to me. (And being relativly clean). I'm attending Tsinghua, and I would like a place near a subway station. I don't mind living in a Chinese area, infact I would rather it. I would like to keep the rent between 4500-5000 for a 1br apartment. Also she is saying that the agent told her that the prices will go up after Chinese new year, does this have any factual merrit to it, or is he just trying to get a sale?

If anyone can reccomend me a site where I can look at apartments and prices in my range please let me know. Also if you know of any particular building I would greatly appriciate it!

Thanks

The closest and nicest apartments IMO around Tsinghua University is Huaqingjiayuan as I currently live in the complex. I'm renting 8000/month for a nice cozy two bedroom apartment. Huaqingjiayuan is around 500m away from Tsinghua's West Gate. I think the studio around here costs roughly 4000-6000 RMB depending on how big it is. Check out thebejinger.com or pekinglettings.com. There's also a rental agency in Huaqingjiayuan Building#1 that helped me find my current apartment and they were extremely nice and informative even after the contract signing and such.

As for the price rising after Chinese New Year, I think it's true. The new semester starts around mid-February so a lot of students around the area will be looking for an apartment and many landlords know that. They often jack up the prices due to that reason. I was looking for apartments right before the school semester started in September and comparing to the prices now, I feel ripped off.

Lastly, are you staying short-term or long-term? I originally planned on staying short-term and found an apartment that costed 6000 RMB/month, but they wouldn't let me stay short-term. They raised the price to 7600 RMB/month due to that fact I wouldn't stay long term.

Beijing is indeed ridiculously expensive these days. I have a friend signed a lease for a 1BR/loft 3 months ago. I presume he got slightly ripped off, but he did bring Chinese people from where he works to make sure he didn't get completely ripped off. He has high standards since he's Swiss and has never lived anywhere outside of places in Western Europe and university towns in the U.S.... so all the appliances are new or fixed, and everything is taken care of with the apartment (serviced). Nevertheless, even though the place is IMO almost in the middle of nowhere (Suzhoujie, near Peking U since he works there), he is paying 5800 RMB per month on a one-year lease.

I have another friend who lives in Phoenix City near Sanyuanqiao (much better location and apartments, I think, but still far away) and two years ago she was paying 5800 RMB/ 1 BR (REALLY NICE place though). She told me they keep trying to raise the rent though to 6500RMB, so she is probably moving this time around.

Beijing housing costs are inexplicably through the roof when it comes to price you pay for quality. Sure, you can get a standard Chinese place for < 3000 RMB per month in a non-central location, but don't expect things to be perfect. I tried that before and spent more time on the phone with the landlord and workers than it was worth. Ended up moving to a place that cost me 1500 RMB more per month, but then I had faster internet, new appliances, a bathroom that always functioned (with separate shower stall), and hot water always coming out of the taps. Can't say the same thing for the previous place!

Oh, and I can't 100% confirm the advice about the CNY prices, but I did hear the same thing last year when I was in BJ, that the worst time to move is then.

The entire property market is basically broken. If you look at apartment prices, rents actually look shockingly low. Look at what people actually earn, and rents and prices are ridiculously high.

As for CNY price rises - I've never spoken to an agent who hasn't warned of price rises in the very immediate future. You'll also notice that every apartment you see has just been seen by someone else who is very keen and will probably take it quickly if you don't hurry up. There might be changes around the new year, but even so you're better off taking your time and making the right decision - even if it does cost a few hundred yuan more a month - than rushing and getting stuck with a lemon.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question, I'm assuming it would be more prudent to view apartments when I get to Beijing.

Also, I've been looking online for apartments and I'm super confused...Wudaokau is the neighbourhood near Tshinghua and Huaqingjiayuan is an apartment complex right? Could you guys recommend from experience or word-of-mouth other apartment complexes near Tshinghua that are fully furnished are in the price range of RMB 4-5K for a 1 bedroom? Rezaf, thank you for the link, unfortunately it was in Chinese and I was left stumped after 10 mins. Thanks guys...