Chinese-Forums

How do you say "breakfast cereal" in Chinese?

David Wong

I specifically mean boxed cereals like corn flakes, cheerios, raisin bran, granola, muesli, etc. I've heard of "cheerios" referred to as 小豆豆, but I don't think that's an accurate translation.

I know corn flakes = 玉米片and oatmeal = 麦片 but is there a generic term for all boxed cereals?

I specifically mean boxed cereals like corn flakes, cheerios, raisin bran, granola, muesli, etc.

I've looked for these in grocery stores and supermarkets in Kunming and other secondary cities without finding them. Are they really there and I'm I just overlooking them? I've asked shop attendants and gotten blank, uncomprehending stares. Or are such breakfast cereals not popular with Chinese people and therefore only available as imported items in more upscale shopping locations? (I don't really live an upscale, import-eating life here.)

I have found and bought oatmeal that one can cook for breakfast. Once I even found the "instant" kind that only had to stand 3 minutes after adding very hot water.

早餐谷物

I find this confusing. To me 谷 means valley. There is no other meaning for this word (except that it is also a surname). But it appears that very often it is used to mean grain even in traditional Chinese (like this). I am not sure if it is actually some ancient usage that I am not aware of, or just another confusion arising from the simplified script.

I would use 早餐穀物.