Chinese-Forums

Good site for Chinese language MP3s

djwebb2004

And China is amazing cuz all the illegal sites still enjoy such a high profile. Have you ever checked out other sites like Xinhua Bookstore (I mean the real one, not xinhua amazon), they have illegal copies of VCDs too.

Also try this Korean website- just make sure you've encoded for Korean:

http://www.bugs.co.kr/

I've had a lot of problems using baidu.com on my own computers and university computers (I'm in the U.S.). A song I'm listening to will just stop or skip a lot. I find that Bugs runs much more smoothly.

Click on the icon right to the right of the Bugs logo: the one that has a little rainbow and music notes, and this will get you to the music section.

Next, again just to the right of the Bugs logo, you can choose the first category, which is Korean pop music, the second, which is Western pop songs, the third is Japanese music, and the fourth is Chinese music.

If you click on the "Chinese music" option, even if you don't know Korean you can just play around and listen to a lot of music. The only thing that's a pain is that the artist's names are rendered in Korean, so it takes some guess work to figure out who is who. Fortunately, there is usually an album picture for matching and the Chinese title of the album.

If you go down the column on the left (under "Chinese popular music"), the first option is "Newest Chinese albums", the second "Newest Chinese music," the third obviously Chinese top 100, the fourth Music Video top 100, not sure about the next two. Below that with bullet points are genres: "adapted music," "movie/drama soundtrack music," "ballads," "dance," and "hip hop/R&B." Below these are just other ways of searching for albums, artists, etc., I think.

Below that is a nice feature, where you can search for artists with the Korean hangul or Western alphabet. The Western alphabet will mostly get you groups/singers with Western names. The Korean script will get you artists with Chinese names. 주걸륜 (Chu Kor Ryun) for example, is Jay Chou.

It's a bit of a pain to navigate but if you have some time on your hands, it's a great website. Once you click on an album, they give you the track listing, then just click on the headphones icon on the left to listen.

Enjoy!

Yeah, I've only really been able to use the Bugs player in IE, not Mozilla (same was true of badu for me). Anyway, go ahead and click to install the Utility player. It shouldn't do anything bad to your computer. I remember having to do that, too. If it gets stuck, try it again.

taobenli

Please post your favourite music. What do people think of 让我欢喜让我忧? And how about 你知道我在等你吗? Both songs are brilliant in that they are easy linguistically and perfect for foreign learners. But they are a bit old now. I need a list of good songs to search for and listen to....

What kind of "good songs" do you mean? What sort of music?

@taobenli Is this site, in case you dont sign up, just for listening, but not for downloading? The site itself is really great, with LOTS of music. Not only mainstream, but also the ones hard to get. Even including metal, classic...yeah :D

what about 刀郎?He is really popular in China at the moment. Many of his songs are cover-versions of Chinese folk songs, like 敖包相会,but it's not limited to that. Two of his most popular songs are 2002年的第一场雪and冲动的惩罚,both written by himself. As for the musical elements, I would say it's rock, but with a lot of traditional Chinese (内蒙,新疆) instruments.

catdiseased-

Yeah, I think you can only download songs only if you register. The BUGS site IS great, but it used to be even better before they ran into some legal trouble for all the free music. Just a short time ago you didn't have to register for anything and everything was free. I do still find it a good site to listen to new music and then, if I really like something, go out and buy the CD.

And I know it's a pain to use if you don't know hangul. But I tried using it before I knew any hangul at all, and I still found it pretty fun to browse around.