Chinese-Forums

What kind of food is 虾米油菜 ?

Patrick_ChineseForum

油菜can be basically seprated into 2 catagories:

1. one is edible, like “油菜” in "虾米油菜", but most polular it will go with mushrooms instead of shrimps(虾米)。 By goole images my guess is that Brassica chinensis will be the best equivalent for it.

2. the other is not edible. it is much taller than the first category "油菜" and contains a number of oil-bearing seeds upon harvest. the seeds are squeezed for cooking oil.

When you punch "油菜" in google images both pop up.

Alright, I'm giving up. Here are my takeaways from all this:

Keeping this focused on the topic 虾米油菜.

The vegetable in this video (I posted this before) looks like how someone in Beijing might call 油菜.

The vegetable in

(from Taiwan) might be the 油菜 that others have mentioned here.

I'm not going to bother trying to figure out if it's bok choy, baby bok choy, pak choy, buk choy, etc. After seeing skylee's link, I've given up hope because there are just too many kinds (and too many English names also)!

That was my conclusion as well..... Poor Patrick, little did he know what discussion his simple question would elicit!

OTOH, I've found this thread very educational. I've known only the Cantonese names for all of these vegetables, so at least now I know when traveling in other places that local names may vary. I might not remember when the local names are, but at least if I'm in Beijing and I order 白菜 and they bring me napa cabbage, I won't send it back.

It's also been useful in that I'm now able to spell the word "vegetable", not "vegitable" and have my spelling checker flag it all the time....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm a bit late, but just wanted to say that using Google Image search to identify anything is pretty useless. The way Google works, if I post a picture of a duck and a rabbit on the same web page and caption both appropriately, then your search for "duck" can just as easily show my picture of a rabbit.

There are millions of people walking around convinced that ducks are rabbits now. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Love this thread. I have long tried to sort out the bok choy and whatevers, and am relieved that it's not exactly easy.

An additional thought that your sensitive minds have closed you eyes on: On some supposedly funny sites, you often find kids posting rape, rapeseed, rapeseed oil etc. labels or quotes, thinking it's sooo funny. In this thead, you write napa cabbage. I was so close to telling you that the Latin is Brassica napa, but fortunately checked. It IS Brassica napus. Anyway, the rape jokes caused the oil to be renamed canola oil - Canadian oil, low acid. (Low on erucic acid).

Anyway, the rape jokes caused the oil to be renamed canola oil - Canadian oil, low acid. (Low on erucic acid).

Actually the reason for the name change (in North America) is a lot more complicated than that.

In the UK it is still rapeseed oil. I've never met anyone who thought the name was funny. Rape isn't funny.